Black Dome snowshoe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skennenden

Reaction score
My husband and daughter are planning on snowshoeing Black Dome tomorrow. We aren't too familiar with the Catskills, doing most of our hiking in the Adirondacks. Any advice? There doesn't seem to be much on trail reports.

For that mountain, I would assume snowshoes for the approach and spikes for the steeper, upper ledges.

If you're 'adk'ers, you should be in you element.

Check out the post by snowsusie (a fellow L.I.er actually) on 2/12 on Thomas Cole and BLACKDOME in the NY Trail conditions section.

What is the approach, btw?

Have a good trip.

Last edited:
The yellow trail from Big Hollow Rd to the junction didn't have much snow. You might be able to bareboot part of the way. Snow gets deeper as you get higher up. Some of the ledges were difficult but I'm not sure crampons were the answer.

The 3500 club had a thru hike in the Canister for today for T Cole, B Dome and Blackhead. Depending on how many there were in that group, my guess is that the deeper sections are packed a bit and the shallower sections might have some exposed ice.

Lots of animal tracks up there on Friday.

There's also another approach.
You drive all the way out County rd 56 to the end and there's a trail head with two trails. (Don't have my maps with me as I type)
One trail goes around and up the north side of Black Head and the other goes right up to Black Dome.

I did the wrap around to Blackhead then Black Dome and had myself a wonderful time.

With the snow that is predicted, be careful driving out to the end of Big Hollow road, past the snowplow turnaround. The summer lot is sometimes treacherous and sometimes expensive to get to.. folks get stuck in the ditch on the south side and need a tow out. Heavy snowpack can hide the said ditch...

So, it might be wise to park at the turnaround and walk the 1000ft or so to the summer lot and then a little further for the trailhead....

Big Hollow Road is also known as CR 56. The trail splits a short way into the woods, going straight or bearing left goes towards the Batavia Kill leanto and towards Blackhead and the escarpment trail. Turning/bearing right goes to LockwoodGap, aka "JellyBean Junction :)" where a right turn goes towards Black Dome... Very well used because of the BlackHead winter requirement... This trail is now switchbacked too...

Jay

Jay is right and I should have noted this as well. I took my jeep up past the snow plow turn around, on unplowed road, to the trail head only to find NO PARKING signs. I drove back to the turnaround and parked there.

Jay do you get every other Friday off still so we can ride one day?

Jay is right and I should have noted this as well. I took my jeep up past the snow plow turn around, on unplowed road, to the trail head only to find NO PARKING signs. I drove back to the turnaround and parked there.

Jay do you get every other Friday off still so we can ride one day?

Nope, no longer (at least now) get the alternate fridays off, though I'd like to change that... Where in North Jersey do you live?

Jay

My work schedule is due to change beginning 4/1.
Under the new plan, I'll have every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off. :eek:

Hmmm...that ought to make 4 1 happy hiker! :D

Congratulations, Alan! I can be your personal trainer and get you back in tip top shape. :eek: