black fly update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keb

Reaction score
I think I am looking for predictions more than observations. Obviously that lovely front this weekend would have kept black flies down. I am considering going to North Lake this coming weekend. Camping/hiking with my girlfriend who is not very "bug tolerant". I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to anticipated black fly presence.

keb said:
I think I am looking for predictions more than observations. Obviously that lovely front this weekend would have kept black flies down. I am considering going to North Lake this coming weekend. Camping/hiking with my girlfriend who is not very "bug tolerant". I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to anticipated black fly presence.
Just went there and there were 0 bugs! :D

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12973

It was cold and windy though...

keb said:
Which "North Lake" are you talking about? I'm quite familiar with the area around the one in Herkimer County NY. No way to predict any more than you can predict the weather. On any given day they can be horrific or tolerable. Expect the worst if the weather is anywhere above 55 degrees, as the current forecast calls for.

Nessmuk said:
Which "North Lake" are you talking about? I'm quite familiar with the area around the one in Herkimer County NY. No way to predict any more than you can predict the weather. On any given day they can be horrific or tolerable. Expect the worst if the weather is anywhere above 55 degrees, as the current forecast calls for.
Good Point! The one I am referring to is near Palenville/Tannersville.

But like you said, bugs are a tricky thing to predict!