Black Fly Update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the weekend at lake Colden. Didnt notice any flys whatsoever. Lots of humans though :)

At the moment, May 21st, there isn't one blackfly in the whole Adirondacks...:D

I was in the northern Lake George region once again, 5-22 thru 5-24 and I can say that the Black Flies are waning (some on Friday afternoon -that was it) and the Mosquitoes were beginning to make a showing.

on 6/06/09 I did wakley Mountain in the southern adirondacks. I used my head net for the first time ever. I was eating them and they were getting in my eyes.:(

I was all over the place in the High Peaks region this weekend. 6/6 I was in Wilmington up by the Whiteface toll booth, near Copperas Pond, near Connery Pond, on Little Burn outside Ray Brook, and on tiny Seymour Mtn. near Averyville Road. 6/7 I ran the trail run course (North trail to Giant, over Hopkins and Spread Eagle and down to town). Almost no blackflies anywhere.

I think maybe the 5/31 snow storm and freeze killed a lot of them. If we're lucky, we may have a low black fly summer up North.

TCD

I was all over the place in the High Peaks region this weekend. 6/6 I was in Wilmington up by the Whiteface toll booth, near Copperas Pond, near Connery Pond, on Little Burn outside Ray Brook, and on tiny Seymour Mtn. near Averyville Road. 6/7 I ran the trail run course (North trail to Giant, over Hopkins and Spread Eagle and down to town). Almost no blackflies anywhere.

I think maybe the 5/31 snow storm and freeze killed a lot of them. If we're lucky, we may have a low black fly summer up North.

TCD

Good news. I hope you're right, but I've read that they do not all hatch at once...

Be Careful

Bug conditions vary from day to day. Deets helps eliminate variation.:cool:

Just a few black flies in the morning at Flowed Lands on Saturday and Sunday mornings(20th,21st). Mosquito's more of a problem at dusk.

"Rainy weather’s a summer treat for mosquitoes"

This article supports my theory that it's gonna be a bit buggy out there this summer:

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/109968.html

"“I think we’re going to have a tremendous summer mosquito crop,” said Frank Drummond, professor of insect ecology and insect pest management at the University of Maine in Orono."

"Drummond also expects black fly, deer tick and horse fly populations to swell next year due to higher water levels in rivers that provide highly oxygenated water to the eggs. These insects hatch once a season for the most part, though there are certain species of black flies that hatch during summer and fall months.

“[For black flies] much of the population is one generation a year,” he said. “There are some species that keep coming out all season up on the Penobscot and Piscataquis [rivers]. They may benefit some from the high water.”

Still a fair amount of Black Flies out in the West Canada Lakes. Mosquitoes are also out in force right now. Not as bad as it was 3 or 2 or even 1 week ago, but definitely still a lot more out there than there was at this time last year.