Black Mtn -- Easy Hike, Beautiful Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbinghaus

Reaction score
Continuing my quest for hikes to with my wife -- remember the rules -- under 10-mi RT, no bugs, no rain, good views, comfortable humidity, cool temperature.

Saturday met those conditions. We left home late and didn't begin walking until 9:20 am. (Another advantage of hiking with spouse is late starts!)

Black mountain is the highest mountain around Lake George. It is an easy 2.5 mi walk from the trail head to the summit. Despite this we were the first people on trail on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. What's wrong with these people?

A leisurely 1.5 hr to the top. Great views of northern Lake George and the Tongue Range. Back down.

On the way down we passed 7 couples going up. A total of 14 people for the most accessible hike in the ADK's. (Or one of the most . . .)

Now I have a 2nd place to send my neighbors to (all born and raised around here) when they ask me (the new guy in town) where to go hiking in the ADKs that is close to home (Albany) and easy.

Wayne, you should try the southern approach some time, probably one of my favorite all time hikes. You leave from the Shelving Rock area and walk along the old grass lakeside road right next to the lake for miles past all the great bays, like Paradise Bay, right to Black Mountain Point, whereby you climb the mountain. It's much longer with more climbing, but truly one of the great approach routes, and you can swim in Paradise Bay on the return.

Did you finish your winter round last year?

Shelving Rock & Winter Rounds

Two topics not one.

Thanks for the tip on the Shelving Rock to Black Mtn Point to Black Mtn hike. I had been avoiding the Lake George area since we moved up here fearing nothing but traffic jams and gross development. I have been pleasantly surprised by how beautiful it all is. Although it is impossible to get the same sense of remoteness that you can in the High Peaks, it is strikenly beautiful. The fact that it is close to home, very accessible, with lots of beautiful and easy walks will mean that Debi and I will hike there a lot and I'll take friends who like the outdoors but who don't own a pair of well worn hiking boots.

Winter Rounds -- still need to do Seymour. Finished off Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons. Have done 16 of the 46 in winter. With luck I will get another 10 this season (or at least 7!). Was thinking about winter hikes when doing Black Mtn on Saturday.

Cheers, :D :D

Having grown up in the Lake George area I am compelled to comment on these postings! I have climbed Black Mtn. on many occasions and I always love bringing my dog with me...(she usually beats me to the top) I have to say that you shouldn't shy away from the Lake George area at all in the summer! There are many places around the lake to get away that are beautifully untouched. Dunhams Bay being my biggest suggestion to visit. If you have any questions on the area I am more than happy to answer them! So now I have a question, I am trying to plan a hike this weekend in the ADKs..any suggestions and is there a link with directions for trails in the ADKs or will buying a specific map be necessary? Thanks!

future46chick said:
Having grown up in the Lake George area I am compelled to comment on these postings! I have climbed Black Mtn. on many occasions and I always love bringing my dog with me...(she usually beats me to the top) I have to say that you shouldn't shy away from the Lake George area at all in the summer! There are many places around the lake to get away that are beautifully untouched. Dunhams Bay being my biggest suggestion to visit. If you have any questions on the area I am more than happy to answer them! So now I have a question, I am trying to plan a hike this weekend in the ADKs..any suggestions and is there a link with directions for trails in the ADKs or will buying a specific map be necessary? Thanks!

You should always carry a map. As for the High Peaks the Adirondack Mt Club's map, you can buy it seperately from the guide from club headquarters in Lake George.

There is an excellent web site that has directions for each of the high peaks along with photos.

http://www.adirondackjourney.com/