Blast Furnace at Upper Works

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCG

Reaction score
Does anyone know what they are constructing on top of the old furnace at Upper Works?

a cell tower :D

I don't think they are building anything, just restoration work.

They are preforming masonry stabilization repairs the the hot air stove (the brick structure on top) as well as adding a polycarbonate roof to help protect it from the elements. Over the next day or two a membrane roof will be installed over the furnace. All of this is part of a stabilization project funded by OSI to help prevent the furnace from deteriorating further.

They are resurfacing and IIRC, putting a roof on it to preserve it. I was by there at the beginning of summer and stopped to talk to the workers (Nature preservancy group or something similar. They are also restoring of the old houses. They were rebuilding the foundation when I saw them.
PS 'Zac - Right on. I started to write at a few mins after 9, but then had to stop and feed the baby before I hit submit..

Last edited:
The construction activity at the furnace won't hinder access to the trailheads. You might want to read the post here about road closures this week however.

Restoring the houses ?
I saw one that was boarded up; the others (by the parking lot) look pretty far gone. Glad they won't be replaced with supersized, garish McMansions, like here in Raleigh :).

When does the Henderson/Tahawus purchase take effect ? Will camping be legal closer to the Upper Works trailhead ?