Blister prevention solution

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty prone to blisters, I think it's just the way of my skin.

If I think it's going to be a problem I'll tape my heels (the usual offender). I tired duct tape, but found that the sticky edges catch on my socks and will eventually peel off. The best tape I've found so far is paper first aid tape. J&J makes it, so does CVS. It says it breathes and is for sensitive skin, and seems to stick the best. I'll usually put several long pieces around the back of my heel, overlapping on the sides of my feet. This seems to work pretty well in preventing them.

This past weekend I tried vapor barriers, which seemed to make my blister situation worse. I think it's having the moisture trapped there. Anyway, someone suggested putting vaseline on my feet before putting them in my socks. Apparently that is supposed to help with both the moisture and rubbing. Someone also mentioned some special foot lotion made specifically for that purpose.

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience on this subject. I'm confident that I can now make a well informed decision and hopefully prevent my wife from going through this again. My wife thanks you as well.

- Bill

I have very odd feet that include hammer toes and an extra bone in each foot. My choice is to put small squares of the beige Dr. Scholls moleskin on my thin Fox River liner socks where those pressure points exist. I then wear Smartwools over the liner sock. The moleskin stays on the liner sock through multiple washings and continues to keep me blister free. Works great for me.

Last edited:
As many previous postings have noted: Take care of the hot-spot right away, it will only get worse if not treated.

The combination of Blister Block, Moleskin tape and liners have been working for me.

Again, treat the problem at the first sign of discomfort.

i would be prepared to try out (or have her try out) several of the ideas and not assume which one will definetly work. everyone's different, you don't wanna put too many eggs in one basket. if she's expecting the first try to make it all good, there might be an unnecessary let down. i'll also add another vote for taking earlier action.

also, was this the first hike in her winter boots? it might just be a matter of breaking in the boots....or her feet!

FWIW i know i have had blisters before, i must have, but i really don't remember any. i just wear smartwools....lucky me! wooooo-haaaaaa!

Starchild,
Yes, this was actually her first hike in these winter boots. However, they are Columbia PAC boots and I don't believe they require much break-in. (I could be mistaken) I never broke in my Columbia PAC boots and they worked out just fine. Thanks for your feedback.

- Bill

Mole skin and duck tape are the things I have used in the past but also on one of our hikes, I was in my sneakers and the weight of the socks I had on was too thick and just changing them to a lighter weight got rid of the pain and stopped continueing to make a blister. Just a thought.

tonycc said:
I heard some advice once concerning hiking with inexperienced people. The instructor stated he would "always" get a hot spot 15-30 minutes into a hike and stop to treat it, even though he never actually got hot spots.

Inexperienced people tend to be hesitant for whatever reason about stopping to take care of a discomfort. By having the leader stop first, they would actually own up to their own issues and take care of them. I've tried it a few times with kid groups and it works great!

Tony
That's an excellent old leader's trick that works for many other situations as well. Whether you personally need it or not, stop for a drink, purify some water, grab a snack, remove clothing before sweating, add clothing at the beginning of a cooling rest stop, fix your boot laces, adjust your pack.... etc.

I discovered liners as blister preventatives before liners were available. Don't tell anyone that I used my wife's calf-high nylons as liners before polypro socks came on the market. Never had a blister since. Luckily I never got injured and had rescuers discover my secret. :eek:
My standard sock system now, both winter and summer, is a light polypro liner with a mid-weight wool oversock. Of course investing in well-fitting boots is a factor just as important.

Another vote for Band-aid Blister Block. Best product on the market, IMO.

Used to use mole-skin when they sold the whte stuff. The newer beige version does not adhere as well as the white version. It IS easier to remove the new version - but that's exactly the problem with it; it comes loose WAY too easily. The white stuff stayed in place forever.

Managed to resolve almost all of my blistering problems by wearing socks (liner and insulation) one size smaller than my normal size. They stretch to fit the foot and that elimates a lot of unnecessary wrinkles and folds in the fabric that were the major source (apparently) of my problem.

Moisture can be a source of blisters. Need to keep feet as dry as possible. Could be there's too much insulation. Maybe try socks in a couple of different weights until the proper combination is worked out.

And don't be shy about changing into dry socks midway through a hike. I do this more in the summer than winter but... keeping feet dry is very important (some folks use antiperspirant on their feet for this purpose).

And, as others have mentioned, it takes a few hikes for feet to toughen to the riggors of many hours in the boots. Start slow with easier, short hikes. Save the Mt. Everest excursion for later in the year.

It's been said but here's my vote for Bodyglide as blister preventitive. I apply it all over my feet and have yet to get a blister since I started using it four years ago. It's good for other "places" too.

Where can I get tincture of benzoin?

I have a B width foot. Heel lift and blisters are a constant. My 3 season boots are EMS Summit GTX. They fit great; no heel lift. They're near the end of the lives thought :( It will be a sad day when I say goodbye to them. Winter boots on the other hand, are a problem.

Not to hijack this thread but can anyone recommend boots that will take step in crampons that fit low volume feet?

Use "Cover roll" !!!

I am a long distance hiker (100miles Plus each outing) who has had his share of blisters. First I use a liner then a wool sox and that helped a lot. However, near Port Clinton in 2001 I had deep, deep blisters behind my toes & had to drop off the AT. So, when I got home I went to the athletic dept. of my local college (Keene State, Keene NH) and they introduced me to a product called "cover roll". This is a adhesive gause with a backing that comes in a 10 yard roll 2" wide. you cut off a piece and peel off the backing. It is like a flexible mesh. My problem was on the pad of my foot behind the toes. So I cut a 3" piece and slap it on just behind the toes and across my foot. This stuff is slippery like glass and doesn't allow any rubbing to take place. We all know that damp feet and a back and forth motion with no "give" will cause a blister every time! I have not had a blister in 5 years since I started using this stuff!!! It stays on even when wet but is not waterproof so I usually replace it each day. Takes just about 1 minute to apply! You can find it on the Web by doing a swearch for "Cover Roll". A package will run you about $20 with shipping. However, 10 yards will last a few years! Try it, you will swear by it!
Gordon Ripley