Blisters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
:confused:
I have these two HUGE blisters from my XC boots. :mad: They are completely raw, and I was wondering what the best and fasted way to get rid of them would be. I believe I had a bad reaction to the Band Aid Blister strips I was using, so I am not sure if there is a non-latex band aid product I could cover them with? Or is air drying the best? Any special sort of home remedy or secret weapon ointment or such that someone knows of? I really would like to be able to put on a shoe, and really really want to hike on Saturday. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure of any magical remedies, other than time. Are the blisters on your heals? If so, you can take comfort in that your skin could toughen up for the future and also your boots will hopefully break-in more, further reducing the chances of future occurences. At least with my feet, the heal is much more resiliant than the toes or other areas on the foot.

For now, I'd consider just airing it out as much as possible. When you hike this weekend, ducttape the crap out of the blistered area.

Best of luck.

To help them heal you might want to try a betadine soak. A basinful of warm water with a cap of betadine in. Twice a day. At least thats what we do for recruits.

Are they fluid filled? If so, sterilize a needle and drain them. Dont pull away the blister, it will help protect the wound. Cover with dry sterile gauze pads just enough to protect them but allow for air to travel through. The dressing should allow you to wear a soft shoe (tennis shoe). I would advise not hiking until they are healed...And buy new boots.....On yeah, that will be $50.00 please.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, thanks for the advice. Not to be really gross or anything, but thay are not fluid filled, they are raw hamburger. I had the blister pads on, and when I got home and took them off, an entire layer (or 8) of skin came off with the bandaid. They are on the backs of both heels. So, I have been putting a little ointment on them, because they are at the 'I can't walk down stairs because my blisters hurt' stage, and they needed some moisture. Maybe I should just invest in duct tape... Lots and lots of duct tape.

Blister advise

OK. Put some Neosporin (first aid antibiotic ointment) on the burns and cover with gauze. The Neosporin with gauze coverage will prevent infection and keep the wound clean...They sound pretty bad...good luck.

Are they fluid filled? If so, sterilize a needle and drain them.

Draining blisters should be avoided if possible. It is possible to get lethal infections in an open blister. (A closed blister is sterile.)

If the skin breaks, it is best to remove the flaps to prevent anaerobic pockets. Keep clean, wash (soap and water is fine), treat with antiseptic, keep dry (exposed to the air is best), and protect from further friction until it heals.

Doug

Last edited:
Were you using Band-aid Blister Block?

I think that stuff is superb and have used it OVER broken blisters to protect them (it's a sterile dressing).

Dr. Scholl makes these blister pads that are thick soft plastic. They basically mimic a thick layer of skin, hold in the moisture for healing, and will fall off by themselves after five days or so. I've needed to use these once and had great results.

I also second the neosporin, and you may want to let it dry a bit before covering it.

http://www.drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=59

good luck - Jim

Last edited:
I was using the band aid blister blocks, and I have used them before, with these same boots and they worked like a dream. I occasionally have a bad reaction to latex, and I think that is just what happened. I am using Neosporin, walking around barefoot, (okay, fuzzy leopard slippers :eek: ) and letting them air out as much as I can. I REALLY want to hike on Saturday, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Advanced Healing

I suggest you use a product by Johnson & Johnson called "Advanced Healing" pads. This is a semi-permeable membrane that promotes more rapid healing. I have used them for several patients (and myself) and found them to be extremely effective for abrasions and unroofed blisters. They adhere by themselves and are latex-free.

To use one, clean and dry the affected area (use soap to remove other substances applied). Cut the pad to a reasonable size for the wound. You might need someone else to apply it accurately over your heel area.

Within a few hours, the area should be essentially pain-free. A white fluid will collect over the wound. DO NOT remove the pad unless the area becomes inflamed or painful. It will come off on its own after several days.

I used one on a blister such as you report and was able to hike without incident within a couple of days.

DougPaul said:
Draining blisters should be avoided if possible. It is possible to get lethal infections in an open blister. (A closed blister is sterile.)

Doug

Yes, draining blisters should be avoided if possible. However, a heel blister (especially a large one) is probably going to break anyway since the area is so prone to friction. IMO (with a heel blister)it is better to create a tiny opening with a needle and let the fluid drain. This will help to decrease the pain created by the fluid filled, inflammatory phased, blister and also keep a protective layer of skin on the site. The chances of any infection through the micro sized hole would be less than if the blister popped on its own thus creating a large opening. After creating the tiny hole and draining apply some neosporin and cover wth DSD....

Last edited:
blownaway said:
Are they fluid filled? If so, sterilize a needle and drain them. Dont pull away the blister, it will help protect the wound.

Yup. That's what the backcountry first aid book we got in WFA recommends. Do have to be careful about infection, though.

blownaway said:
Yes, draining blisters should be avoided if possible. However, a heel blister (especially a large one) is probably going to break anyway since the area is so prone to friction. IMO (with a heel blister)it is better to create a tiny opening with a needle and let the fluid drain. This will help to decrease the pain created by the fluid filled, inflammatory phased, blister and also keep a protective layer of skin on the site. The chances of any infection through the micro sized hole would be less than if the blister popped on its own thus creating a large opening. After creating the tiny hole and draining apply some neosporin and cover wth DSD....

Draining a blister will frequently make it more comfortable to proceed. The risk is that you can set up an environment for anaerobic infections (which can be lethal). Cutting away the loose skin keeps the wound aerobic and much safer. If you do drain a blister, use a sterile needle and clean and apply antiseptic at least daily. If an infection develops, it may require professional medical attention (antibiotics etc).

Doug

DougPaul said:
Cutting away the loose skin keeps the wound aerobic and much safer.

Ooooo.... nothing like a good debate!!

Just checked the WFA book. It says to "Clean around the site thoroughly. Sterilize the point of a needle or a knife.... Massage the fluid out. Leaving the roof of the blister intact will make it feel better and heal faster".

I used to have a horrid problem with heel blisters. So... blister management became a regular part of my outdoor life. Found that the above technique minimized the "recovery" time. If the "roof" of the blister was rubbed off or removed, "recovery" time would be doubled.

Last edited:
drain em' apply duct tape next time you ski/hike and try sock liners they helped me alot! :)

From "Medicine for Mountaineering" by James Wilkerson:

"The most common cause (of blisters) is new or ill fitting boots."

Loose boot heels can contribute to heel blisters. Improper fit and/or improper lacing will be contributing factors.

"Ruptured blisters should be treated in the same manner as an abrasion. The feet should be kept meticulously clean with soap and water to prevent infection."

I have always had good luck by applying adhesive tape on areas where I could be blister prone. The minute I feel a hot spot I stop and fix the problem whether it be loose/tight laces of loose tape. If you don't fix it you get hamburger.

JohnL

Blisters...Blisters...and...more...Blisters....

The comment regarding the possibility of developing a lethal infection is alittle dramatic but DougPauls case does have plenty of merit...

After a few searches using google I found just what I suspected.....

Some theories say to protect the blister by applying a donut type pad around the site and then pack the hole with some type of wet second skin type dressing. After this apply a sheet of moleskin over donut to protect and keep the dressing in place. Do not puncture blister unless the fluid appears cloudy or infected.

Other theories say to sterilize a needle, puncture and gently drain clear fluid, apply antiseptic and dress/pad the area.

You have the medical "cover your ass" theory and you have the backcountry first aid theory.

Medically...no doctor is going to order (or do it him/herself) a nurse to drain a blister...why....CYA theory that's why....

Common sense in the backcountry and a big ass puffy blister on your heel....no donut pad.....you are going to drain that mountain of fluid or it's going to bust anyway.

Last edited: