blue hills - nights?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue Hills is closed at night so park outside and slip in. What night are you thinking?

maybe tuesday (next week)?? 6:30ish? no plan yet, just get a quick hike in for an hour or 2.

I am game for whatever there. can't you park at that lot across the street from the park headquarters. I haven't been there in about 5 years - but don't recall it being gated or anything.

There's a huge lot where the hockey rink is at one end of the Skyline trail. There's a small parking area off rt. 28/ Chickatawbut Rd which is usually where I go in. Tons of options, it depends how many people are going.There used to be a map online, I can't find it...

Guy---I'm up for this.

Please be aware that the various parking areas (Houghton's pond, pull-overs) are notorious for er....eh, "gentlemen callers". A big group should be fine.

I vote for "non-flashlight" hike on the Ponkapoag side. Miles of footpaths and a great chance to improve compass skills. Also, there was a recent brushfire on this side as well. ((Plus the Bog Walk)

(Did I mentioned I also use to live there ( ;) )

Peace.

jay - is there a problem with night hiking there?

hey some mtns have wind, some have cravesses, some have rockfall - blue hills have human objective danger - we'll deal with it :D

There isn't a problem per se. But there are challenges.

Listen, there are whack jobs everywhere...the Blue Hills just attracts a bit more. It is (or use to be) a pretty big meeting place for drugs/illegal activities, still is IMHO. In my years of wanderings there I have seen some weird sh** and met people who put my radar up.

A while back, hiking with some from this board as I recall, we passed a young guy who was packing a a gun, during the day, in the Blue Hills. I have nothing against guns....again...it was just weird.

Just makes it that much more interesting.

I recommend the Blue Hill Tavern afterwards. :D

Jaytrek57 said:
(Did I mentioned I also use to live there ( ;) )

Peace.

and now your an official rhode islander, complete with quahogs, block island ferry, coffee milk, etc..

which reminds me - I have to give you the beta on the good stuff near your town - woonsocket has some if the best scumbag joints in the world!!
also - can you suggest the best meeting place for blue hills next tues?

The parking areas at the skating rink and next to the visitor center will be gated at night, probably Houghton Pond too (I rarely park there so am not sure). The commuter parking lot near the Tavern/Dunkin isn't gated. There's a few smaller spots on Rt 28, and over by the Police barracks that aren't gated. Also over by Fowl Meadow and Quincy Quarries it's not gated. Chickatawbut Rd gets gated after 8 (I think, maybe earlier), and the overlook parking area is where I've seen most of the 'meet market' activities I've encountered. The lot at the intersection of Rt 28 and Chick. Rd isn't affected by the gate.

Rules of the park say no use after 8pm - not sure how strict they are about it though.

I suggest parking at the Tavern/Dunkin Donuts. There is a path that leads directly up the Great Blue Hill across the road.

That commuter parking area is notorious for...well...activities and IMHO not safe at night.

guy--

yeah...getting use to ol' Greenville RI. My place is in the middle of the woods, so plenty to explore. the commute is killing me though. :(

Peace.

giggy said:
well we're gonna find out - what a stupid rule and one I have every intention of testing ;)

History has shown me that these types of rules are usually enforced to catch troublemakers - not people that are hiking...

Ever notice if you are sipping wine with your wife or girlfriend on a beach the law will not bother you? But god forbid you have a beer or two with the guys.
Test the limits giggy!! There is not much space in the prison system!