blue mtn trees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
What has happened to the trees on blue mountain? Looks like they are all dying. A lot of them look like match sticks at a 45 degree angle. Especially the ones on the south side by the cabin. I was up there last summer and they didn't look that bad.

I also saw they are repairing the tower watcher cabin front portch. Do they have a purpose for this or are they just preserving the past?

What has happened to the trees on blue mountain? Looks like they are all dying. A lot of them look like match sticks at a 45 degree angle. Especially the ones on the south side by the cabin. I was up there last summer and they didn't look that bad.

I also saw they are repairing the tower watcher cabin front portch. Do they have a purpose for this or are they just preserving the past?
Many of the Fire Towers in the ADKs have preservation groups. Preservation includes the tower itself, and any historic structures around it.

It sounds like you're maybe describing fir waves. It's a pretty natural phenomenon that occurs regularly on mountain tops in places like the Adirondacks and New England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fir_wave

As for the porch repairs, yes, it's mostly to preserve history. Because Blue Mountain is one of the more popular fire tower hikes, the group associated with preserving the tower and cabin probably gets more support than other "Friends of" groups for other fire tower peaks.