Boiling bags.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a boiling bag. One that does not have food already inside? I can find oven bags, but not boiling bags. Any suggestions?

The instructions on the side of the freezer bag cautions against using in boiling water. The vacuum seal might work, unfortuately I do not have access to one.

Last edited:
Boiling Bags

Google search for "seal-a-meal bags". That's the brand we have for our old food sealer and we've used them in boiling water with no problem.

The bags come with the FoodSaver vacuum sealer. Those are boilable and microwaveable. Won't leak like a zip-loc. Any kitchen store nowadays carries them.

You can buy Stouffer's meals that are boil-in-a-bags, too.

MadRiver,

Years ago I used the bakepacker and use to bring bags of dough to a boil in the pot in order to bake - I always used these with no problems (You mentioned them and I wasn't sure if you were worried about using them or simply did not want to use them.)

I later used them for a couple of years boiling my meals in them for winter camping to avoid cleanups and they worked fine as well. For the flip side, I add boiling water to food inside a Qt size freezer ziplock with no problems.

MAD RIVER

You can also use muslin bags, these bags work great for boiling hops or grains when making beer and they withstand high temps. Just knot the top to seal. They are inexpensive about $1 each.

I will second Rick's recommendation. I've successfully used the Reynolds oven bags as boiling bags. As an alternative, if you follow the link on Rick's post you will find something called Slow Cooker Liners. I've never seen them in the store, but these may be closer to what you are looking for.

I've also used the oven bags with boiling water. Only trouble is they are quite large, made for a 8 lb roast. I never can find the smaller ones. they make good garbage bags after a couple of uses.

I've scrambled eggs and even made a Peach Cobbler in zip lock freezer bags without any probelms. I can't imagine the reason for the caution; probably a product liability issue. OTOH, I hope it didn't leach toxic chemicals into my peaches. :eek: