Bondcliff 5.10.09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
Participants: Dr. Wu and Juniper

Traded what I hear was a beautiful day in Boston for a wet day out in the Pemi! Left the snowshoes in the car, but loaded up on rain gear. LW, WT to Bondcliff. Once on the Bondcliff trail we started to wonder how the water crossings would be. The first brook crossing was quite challenging and we elected to switch to crocs to preserve our dry shoes for the rest of the hike. We were prepared to do the same at the other crossings, but that was not necessary. Lots of water, but the remaining 3 or 4 crossings were rock-hoppable.

The snow started at around 3000'. Slim, soft and pretty shallow monorail that offered some support in the center and generally could be avoided by walking to either side. Of course, this meant brushing up against wet trees the whole way up! The wind was really howling up above, so not far below the alpine zone sign we changed into dry clothes for the visit to the summit. Once on top we learned that the wind was really not very bad and things were fairly dry. Strong winds in the little dip before the "picture cliffs" and it was really howling up ahead through the col leading over to Bond. We decided that Bondcliff was enough for today. Enjoyed lunch on the summit, where it had started to snow.

Same water story on the way out. And the 5 miles on WT and LWT were as long and monotonous as always! Saw several hikers throughout the day, which was somewhat surprising given the conditions.

Rebecca

OMG! Nice going :) Guesses on when it would be safe for a hiker who cannot handle another step on rotting snow? ;)

I'll never understand the appeal of hiking with beer in glass bottles when Dale's Pale Ale is available in cans. :) Looks like a fine madness.

I have trouble finding the DPA (you know I'm a fan). So if anyone wants to let me know where to get it along 93, I'm all ears. Perhaps it was just a case of poor planning on the part of my beverage provider Dr. Wu (which would be SHOCKING).

Last edited:
I'll never understand the appeal of hiking with beer in glass bottles when Dale's Pale Ale is available in cans. :) Looks like a fine madness.
Victory Ale don't come in no cans!

I also had almost nothing in my pack except for the beer so the (negligible) additional weight from the bottles vs. cans mattered not.

Great pictures, Rebecca!!!

-Dr. Wu

I have trouble finding the DPA (you know I'm a fan). So if anyone wants to let me know where to get it along 93, I'm all ears. Perhaps it was just a case of poor planning on the part of my beverage provider Dr. Wu (which would be SHOCKING).
Not sure about I-93 but I can get it over here. Mr. Metsky has excellent taste in beers! One of the best beers in a can for my money! :D

Beer bottle is a far more effective survival tool than beer can. Both can be used to collect water.
Bottle can be used to start fire like a magnifying glass. Also can be broken for use as a cutting implement.

Safety vs. weight savings.

Reactions: arm
But a can makes a fine stove. So there.

A Heineken mini-keg makes a superior wood-stove, which is why I recommend hiking with one. Best to start out with a full one, they hold a deceptively small amount of thirst-quenching fluid.

Excellent pics! Thanks for posting. Looks like it will soon be completely dry. I need a few more weeks before I could tackle such a long one anyway.

BTW, any extra weight due to glass container earned you a few more recreational calorie credits ;)

happy trails :)

Bondcliff and Good Beer looks like an excellent combination,cans or bottles it doesn't bother me. Add some sun for next time and I'm there. Nice report and pictures.

Juniper and I have identified a few locations that sell this hoppy concoction, one located just 200 yards from my house. All is well.

Juniper and I have identified a few locations that sell this hoppy concoction, one located just 200 yards from my house. All is well.
They sell it at Table & Vine in West Springfield. 6.5% Alcohol for a Pale Ale. Not bad stuff either.

-Dr. Wu