Bondcliff Backpack on the wild side 01-23-24-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
After reading Sherpa John’s TR about a trip out to Bondcliff recently I got inspired to do it as a backpack from the Lincoln Woods end. I am by no means fast so my plan was to head in the day or night before and camp on Bondcliff Trail. This way I could make one or two summit attempts from my base camp. Also I could go after all three Bonds if I took shelter one night at Guyot. Then I heard of at least three groups heading into the same area and decided Saturday would be fun up top.

Long hours and weekend work meant Thursday night would be spent building a new pulk, ’08 got totaled out last year. Friday I finished packing ate dinner with the family and headed in late.

Toes on trail at 11:30 PM has some nice things to offer. No crowds, no distractions and plenty of time to get in your own head and enjoy how peaceful the wilderness is. I was blessed with failing batteries on my headlamp (have spare lamp & batteries), which I set on the low setting. This way I could just see the trail at my feet and not the miles stretching out ahead of me. The night was overcast and warm and LW went quickly as it was well packed. I reached Franconia Brook at 12:30 AM and thought how I’m beating booktime pulling a sled. By Bondcliff Trail I was only ahead five minutes, so much for the early night.:rolleyes:

About two miles up Bondcliff Trail after a crossing at 2100 feet I made camp but was to beat to push a long ways out into the woods. 5:00 AM, its time for a nap. About 7:30 AM I heard the first hiker “Rocket” by and by 8:30 AM I was keeping company to folks headed up. It was turning out to be a beautiful day despite the artic chill and strong winds that had replaced the warm low.

Almost at the alpine zone and Donna, who had passed me, Stev-o and Jeremy were already coming back down. Donna gave me sound advice to not try for all three peaks and that just getting to Bondcliff summit was difficult. Once above treeline the winds were very fierce and steady with brief opportunities where you weren’t getting pushed around. It was great to reach the summit and turn around to see friends there to share it with. Darlene, Frodo, Lloyd and Neighbor Dave had just arrived. We all scouted the col to see if Mats and others were coming across.

I took a walk over to the first rock of the precipice and was promptly placed on my backside by the winds coming up out of Hellgate valley. Slightly daunted I did a video clip on my second walk and avoided the last rock. As I turned around the wind kicked up and I got a second video of Darlene and Frodo being pinned down. Without a video the mountain looked serene but even the video can’t compare to the shear strength and raw energy that was present.:eek:

Last time I visited Bondcliff it was a calm beautiful day and I was in awe of the amazing cliff that had stood gallantly against the test of time. Today I was humbled by witnessing a small slice of what this dignified and beautiful wilderness endures. It truly is an altar as some have said and already I am anxious to visit it again. Many thanks to those that support this inspirational place!:D

The afternoon retreated to evening as I made my way back out. The cold had settled in and the trees creaked loudly throughout the woods. It felt as miles had been added to Lincoln Woods and the Wilderness Trail while I was on the mountain but again I shared the trail with no one but the night. Often I looked back on long straights hoping to see Mats overtaking me. I was happy to greet him with Jeff and congratulate him at the TH for finishing his traverse and Winter48. Well done big guy!!!:cool:

Slideshow:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/569792051UwbDPd

Thanks for the TR, Dave, it's a good one. Planning to do a similar trip later in the winter, and you provided some good info!

Fun videos, too! :eek: My wife called in from the other room, "What's that noise???" "Oh, just wind."

Dave Bear nice trip report with some great info.
The video is amazing...with the wind.
Thanks so much for meeting the guys at the TH.
:) Hope to see you soon!

Dave, Great job. The T/R reads like it was quite an adventure. Pretty nice pics and videos too!

Nice alternative start time. I enjoyed the adventure and particularly the video and great shots.

We are headed in in early March and will build an igloo

I was wondering if you saw any possible campsites up higher say about 3200 feet where the trail turns left and heads southerly before turning right 2 times and attackingthe summit
I beleive its by the 3rd crossing but not sure.

And I loved the Frodo pin down video.

I was once out in a measured -18 and wind sustained at 115 MPH and I know how helpless and batterd I felt.
I would get knocked down like a rag doll (Im 6'6" and 245)and when I lifted my leg to take a step the wind would take it in another direction before it hit the ground .
Joe the drunk was a good camparison.

Wamest wishes,
Climbing Stallion/BMT

Great report Dave. After hearing that you were knocked over by the wind - I knew that I had made the right decision to turn back. I am sorry to have missed you on this hike...hopefully our paths will cross sooner rather than later.

Great report Dave, glad you got the video of Frodo & I pinned down...it was a rush. Thanks for the helping hand!

The winds were so strong in that area but not too bad back where we stepped up onto the summit. I was worried when you started over to the rock...then I saw you go down and knew I was in big trouble. Was glad that I had my heavy plastic boots & heavy pack for once!!

I did have to chuckle as I was watching you try and get up from your back with legs & arms in the air :D That was after I figured you were okay!! I zoomed in on my pic and you were still on your back....hehehe :p

Fun to bump into you on the summit! :D

Thanks for the fine report, DaveBear. Love the video and the shot of your reflection in Darlene's goggles.

So, how windy do folks think the saddle between Bondcliff and Bond was on Saturday? 115 mph? higher? I will also check out the MWO archive.

So, how windy do folks think the saddle between Bondcliff and Bond was on Saturday? 115 mph? higher? I will also check out the MWO archive.

I don't know about 115, but there were very powerful gusts brewing in the Pemi. I believe the gusts were in excess of 60-70 mph at some points. I was only knocked down twice (never technically pinned, though once I just stayed down until the gust was over), but a lot of gusts threw me off the trail.

Thanks for the fine report, DaveBear. Love the video and the shot of your reflection in Darlene's goggles.

I had my wife check after I got down around 7 to see the daily chart and the highest winds were around 10-11 am. Don't know what time but there was a fifteen minute interval that had maintained 80. The F6 monthly says 107 was the highest that day. Obviously MWO and the Bonds are different conditions but locations like that could drive it higher. The valley there at Hellgate brook funnels the wind into the col the guys crossed! I was at MWO one time when the winds were 60-70 and when I went to Clay it was much worse due to a fall Nor'easter and the funneling of the Great Gulf. I can tell you this though, I had both poles planted back and when the gust hit me it vaulted me back so the feet went up. Probably only a little difference if I was sideways to it and didn't create a sail with my shoulders. It was quick, came and said "Hi there!" and then it was gone. I would guess the one that pinned Darlene and Frodo was all of 70-80 with some higher gusts.

I think that someone posted 115 mph peak gusts at the MWO on another thread. But, I agree that the col between Bondcliff and Bond is a classic wind tunnel. On a couple of occasions I have had to crawl that section, and one time dropped into the thick brush to the east, as Matts and Stony were thinking about doing, which was pretty miserable bushwhacking.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched that video Dave took as he walked out onto Bondcliff's face!!! :eek:

I believe he was sitting for the video...right where the wind dumped him. At ;east for most of the video..rest I don't know, was busy hanging on to rocks and crawling....:eek:

Winds , Mountains and the Venturi Effect

Yes right on about the wind tunnel I beleive its called the Venturi Effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Managing Loon for many years I commuted from Franconia to Lincoln every day at 6am and 5pm.

Whenever I heard a southerly wind forecast I knew the notch would be horrendous .

Yet it was wonderfully calm at Loon so the snow stayed where we put it and the lifts ran.
uMeanwhile Cannons tram wold shut down until the southerly subsided and the upper and mid mountain trails would lose their cover into the woods

Of course it applies to any wind direction in the mts .
There is even a local name for this accelerated wind its called The Wind in The Bungay Jar

It's named after Bungay Corner at southerly head of the Easton Valley.

Basically its where the Kinsman range ends and the Moosilauke massif begins.

Climb onward