Bondcliff is enough!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willoughby

Reaction score
Man, Bondcliff is a spectacular place! And it turned out to be easier to reach than I had expected - a double pleasure.

Work has been pulling me in too many directions at once, and is threatening to keep me off the trails for Flags on the 48th (grrr), so in reaction I found myself at Lincoln Woods just after 6AM Friday. I figured I would need all the daylight I could get - 18.2 miles would be nearly 50% longer than any hike I had done this year. The parking lot had a number of other folks setting out, and there was a group of teenagers camped on the porch, just getting themselves going and providing a bit of an obstacle course on the way to the suspension bridge and the trail.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Lincoln Woods trail, but I cruised along quicker than I expected; I guess my legs are the right length to step across the old railroad ties. The glimpse of Mt. Bond ahead, with a patch of sunlight on its shoulder, drew me on.

The edge of the Pemi Wilderness is amusing, with 100 signs telling people where (and where not to) camp or walk without permits or bicycle or what have you, and the massive "footbridge" over Franconia Brook. The Wilderness Trail narrows down, curves around a bit, and then runs back onto the old railroad, a little narrower than Lincoln Woods but otherwise the same. I found myself at the Bondcliff Trail junction 1.5 hrs after starting out, and ate & drank a little before heading up.

Heading up the Bondcliff Trail I knew I was going to slow down, and I just tried to set a pace I could maintain. I passed a couple filtering water near where the trail turns onto a logging road. I refilled & treated a liter myself at the first stream crossing - I was carrying 3 Nalgenes and figured I might want them all. In the back of my mind was the idea that if Bondcliff went well, I could jaunt over to Mt. Bond as well and make it a double-header.

The trail kept heading up, and I kept moving along. I was running out of gas as I hit the stone stairs, but kept pushing - I thought I heard voices behind me, and I was enjoying the woods and the solitude. When I reached the view of Bondcliff ahead I figured "go ahead - let them past me" and sat for another water & trail bar break. No voices, no hikers, I headed on up.

The last stretch below the summit went on longer than I expected, and was turning into a typical White Mountains rocky trail. All of a sudden I got a glimpse of deep blue sky through the trees, and I knew I was nearing my goal. I came up through the trees and face-to-face with the Bondcliff "ledge scramble". It's quite something to be staring rock in the face after miles in the woods - but in fact there are easy footholds to go right up it. The real surprise is when you step onto the top and look around - what a view! The back side of Franconia Ridge took my breath away.

I clambered up to the summit and looked around - and around - and around. I took a bunch of pictures, then sat down for lunch. It was just after 10:30, but I figured I'd earned lunch. One of the challenges of a place like Bondcliff is figuring out which way to face while you eat! I settled on the view over Owls Head to Franconia Ridge - but I also liked the view South towards Tripyramid & Passaconaway (where I've been recently), and of course the Willey Range (where I started my summer's hiking) and Mt. Washington looming in the distance. And then I was eyeing Bond & West Bond, deciding whether to go on.

I spent an hour on Bondcliff, all by myself, in absolutely perfect weather. I could see groups on Bond and then West Bond. Maybe if Bondcliff had been busier, I would have headed over to Bond - but having that summit all to myself, I suddenly felt no urge to go further. What more did I need? Bondcliff is enough, more than enough.

The clouds were thickening as I decided to go, and my return trip was uneventful. I met the couple I had seen at the base of the trail - they summited just as I was heading down - and a ranger, coming up as I was going down. I checked out the disputed railroad trestle and then headed back out the WIlderness trail. Of course there were more people on the trail as the day went on and I got closer to Lincoln Woods. I stopped at the view of Mt Bond I had seen in the morning, and stuck my feet in the river for 1/2 hr, then headed back to the car.

All told, I spent 10 hours on the trail, and 8.5 of them hiking. My new headlamp stayed in my pack, unneeded. I had a spectacular hour alone on a spectacular summit -- and Bondcliff is enough. Bond and West Bond will be there when I come back.

Pictures here

And the bedrock and rocks on Bondcliff are great for laying around or sitting! Why move? Glad you enjoyed Bondcliff, what a view, huh?

Nice TR Willoughby and great pics. If you got any pics of the Tris that is me on the north slide taking pics of you. I got to the top of north slide just about 10:30. It was all totally unexpected. Had planned on Scaur Ridge and Tri loop back to Livermore, but made a wrong turn and by the time I realized it, well I thought it would be easier heading up than going down. I'll tell you about it next hike. It was a gorgeous day to be in the mtns for sure, glad all went well with your hike.