Bonds Approach

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapyHkngSmile

Reaction score
For an overnighter 1 or 2 nights...What is the best approach to the Bonds? I was studying the map last night and it looked like the south was the best approach, however it's very gradual...I forgot the name of the trail,,,is it the Wilderness Trail that intersects with the bond cliff trail? We were thinking about camping at around that intersection, the book said camp 16.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any cool look outs (beside the obvious) :D

There are basically three ways into Guyot (assume that is where you plan on staying): Wilderness to Bondcliff, Zealand to Twinway to Bondcliff, or Twins to Twinway to Bondcliff, with the first two being the most popular.

I prefer coming in from Lincoln Woods via Wilderness Trail because it's a shorter drive from Boston, the first 5 miles goes quickly, and a nice climb up Bondcliff. It's 11 miles to the shelter. It also takes you over Bondcliff which you'll want to visit while you're up there no matter what. You can do a nice loop by going over Guyot, South Twin, and Galehead on your way out.

Coming in from Zealand is a little shorter and probably a bit quicker but I don't like the trail as much. It has a great view from Zea Cliff. It's harder to do a loop from this side.

-dave-

I agree with Dave. I've been in virtually every way (OK, via a TRAIL :) ) and prefer the Wilderness Trail route. While boring for a while, the slog in and out go quickly and are good warm up/cool down.

Here is a map/topo profile for Three Bonds from Lincoln Woods. It's about 22.5 miles and 4,500' of elevation, and you get to go over Bond and Bondcliff twice. I did it as a day hike on 8/31/2006 in 10 hours 45 minutes.

HTH,
Tim

p.s. OUT on the Wilderness Trail takes much longer than IN ;)

Be careful about camping near Camp 16. There was once a shelter at the Bondcliff/Wilderness junction that's currently a reveg area. The rangers can be aggressive about keeping campers out. Some decent sites can be found a short distance up the Bondcliff trail.

swamp said:
Be careful about camping near Camp 16. There was once a shelter at the Bondcliff/Wilderness junction that's currently a reveg area. The rangers can be aggressive about keeping campers out. Some decent sites can be found a short distance up the Bondcliff trail.
As far as I know, the 1/4 mile restriction there is no longer in force. However, the 200' rule and rules about the river are closely enforced.

Latest rules updated - http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain//recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2006-07.pdf

-dave-

Another option would be to camp at the Guyot Campground, though it'd mean lugging your gear up higher. I don't think the caretaker is there yet??? If not, you wouldn't have to pay. Neat place to camp, and you could hit the Twins also, depending on how much time you had.

Good luck!

If you can plant a car I vote for North to South Traverse. Go in over the Twins, spend the night a Guyout, and then go out via the Wilderness Trail.
If you have time spend a secound night at Guyout and you can also dayhike Zealand and or Hale. Leaving the woods via the Wilderness Trail, if it is during the swimming months, you can desconge-a-fy yourself at Franconia Brook Falls three miles from the Kanc. When it comes right down to it any which way you do this hike it's great...not to mention you can go back and try it another way the next time and have a differet hike. Signed...a Guyoutholic. ;)

Guyot is a great spot, and we spent our second night there. We camped the first night a mile or so up the Bondcliff trail at the second major crossing of Black Brook (I think, a few years ago) at a decent area. There were many signs of people camping closer to the brook (almost on the banks) but we found a nice spot near the back of the flat area about 250' from both the water and trail.
We did have dinner on one of the bank clearings, looking down on the brook snacking on grilled cheese sandwichs. I think you could find this spot even in the dark, as there was an obvious path heading up the bank just after the crossing.

I really can't wait to go back to the Bonds! We spent day two SLOWLY making our way across Bondcliff (can you say three hour lunch!?) and the ridge to Bond, then scooted to West Bond after checking in at Guyot for sunset. One of the most magical days I've spent hiking anywhere.

Actually, here is the illustrated version:

Chilling at the first campsite
shiraz-800.jpg

Dinner over the brook
fixingdinner-800.jpg

The cliffs of Bondcliff and the ridge to Bond
bondscliffs-800.jpg

Boncliff basking in the alpenglow
bondcliffglow-800.jpg

Ahhhh, Bondcliff. Sean, some of the nicest pictures of Bondcliff and Bond I've ever seen.
BC is one of my favorite mtns in the northeast. I spent a couple of magical hours on the summit of BC on summer day. I shared the summit with a flock of ravens. It was a glorious, cool, sunny, Summer day, and the ravens were taking off in pairs to do loops, rollovers, and every type of stunt flying you could imagine. They were doing it in pairs. One pair would land, and then the next would take off to do even more spectacular aerial manuevers. In my imagination, they were saying to each other: "try and top this".

I haven't been back to the Whites since I completed the NE111 a long time ago. Some of my friends are interested in going there and I'm hoping to get back on some favorites.

Peakbagr said:
Ahhhh, Bondcliff.BC is one of my favorite mtns in the northeast.

I remember climbing Bond Cliff for the first time like it was yesterday...although then it was not an official FOTC48 and wondering why!
Now we all know. This place is the center of my universe and my ashes will be spread from the air when the time comes. :cool: :)

bondcliff: so close...

I hiked up to zealand hut in july '05 and over to bond and west bond, solo. Incredible trip, one I'll never forget. Perfect weather. I was resting at Bond looking over to Bondcliff thinking I could make it...and then back to the Zealand parking area with enough energy to carry me, but I just couldn't do it. I think it was SherpaJohn who offered to drive me back to my car if I tagged along with him over Bondcliff to the Kanc, but I knew I couldn't keep up with him. Disappointed, I turned around and slowly walked back to my car, knowing I would return for a solo bagging of Bondcliff another day. Only a half mile away, and I couldn't reach it. One of my favorite solo trips to date. This summer I will bag Bondcliff. Your pic, Doc, of bondcliff in the alpenglow has renewed my determination for bagging it. I can't wait.

HapyHkngSmile said:
What is the best approach to the Bonds?

I didn't catch when you are going... but I've found that the Twinway can hold snow late in the season, probably due to the elevation and lack of exposure.

Also in my experience, Guyot fills up really quickly on summer weekends. If you get there after it hits capacity, the caretaker will have you camp on the ridge and hike down for cleaning/water/toliet duties.

Aside: I guess they have to do this, but it seems odd to me. It happens year after year, to the point where the last time I hiked by there were signs indicating the overflow camping area. As if you could miss it! I'm surprised they haven't started a Tuckerman-like system, at least for the weekends.

I personally reccomend Guyout site, but there are other good options as well

Guyout definately gets crowded, but its such a nice spot. I have stayed there twice. I did the an up the Wilderness to Guyout, day hike over South Twin to Galehead, out the way I came trip two years ago. I also did a Zealand, south Twin Galehead trip before that.

I also know people who do the two night loop with thirteen falls site, and hit Owl's head. Galehead, Zealand, and even Greenleaf huts are alos in the vicinity and can make for nice loops.

I have had friends who spent two nights at Galehead and did the Bonds as a dayhike from the hut. Basically as a limited backpacker/not really long distance dayhiker, this was among the limited options to get there.

Whats nice about Guyout is that you are basically right there at the ridge. Once you wake up, you are at Guyout or West Bond's (depending on route) summit in no time. Though not on any list (at least not any that I follow), Guyout has a very nice summit.

Assuming that its crowded, but you get a spot, actually makes it kind of neat. I personally think hearing where people are from/hiking to, etc. is one of the appeals of these sites, especially since I tend to backpack solo.

As you can see, the Bonds are in the middle of everything, tons of combination options, especially for peakbagging. Have fun.