Bonds Traverse?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlafleur

Reaction score
Hello all, myself and a strong group of five other experienced winter hikers have penciled this weekend in for a two-day Bonds traverse starting from Lincoln Woods and exiting Zealand Road. The theoretical plan is to stay the night Saturday at Guyot.

However, I've seen the snow conditions elsewhere in the Whites - it took me and a group of six others six hours just to make it 3.2 miles in on Dicey's Mill Trail toward Passaconaway on Sunday 3/2 before throwing in the towel and turning around. I'm thinking that my group has essentially zero chance of actually accomplishing our goal this weekend, but I'm fine with that as we're really just looking for a winter camping experience anyway. We'll see how far we can get Saturday, make camp and either push on or turn back Sunday morning, depending on our progress from the day before.

But I'm also a foolish optimist. I'm wondering if there isn't a group of 20 ultra-marathoners somewhere out there in VFTT land who are planning the same traverse on Wednesday and Thursday and will kindly break the trail out for us :D

Seriously, though, I saw the posting for the 3/1 Pemi Loop attempt by what seems to have been a very strong group. They were unsuccessful (but great job guys) but only were on the Wilderness Trail as far as the Osseo Trail, it seems. I'm wondering if anyone out there has been on the Wilderness Trail to the Bondcliff Trail or on the Bondcliff Trail itself lately. Are either/both of those well broken out? Anyone been up around Zealand? What's the Twinway like above Zealand Hut? Three or four feet of unbroken snow still or more packed out?

Like I said, I'm not going into this expecting to actually pull off the traverse. We're probably going to end up camping somewhere less then four or five miles from the road.

We're most likely going to head in from Zealand Road, as our thought is that route would give us more options and a greater likelihood of at least partially broken out trails through to Guyot. Anyone out there disagree with that theory? Just want to consider all my options.

Thanks guys,

Mike

Last edited:
This is somewhat limited but, I skied from Lincoln Woods to Franconia Falls on Sunday after the snow. The trail is well groomed and consolidated. Many people were snowshoeing but also a few bare booting with little trouble. Hope this helps, have fun.

Since Zealand has a hut, there's a reasonably good chance that the first part of your trip will be on broken trail. However, it sounds like you're starting on Saturday AM, so your group may be among the first. Typically by Sunday that section is really packed out.

Above the hut - anyone's guess. I've done this trek many times and there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern. Lots of folks going to Zealand Hut make it their destination, and those who go beyond often only get to Zeacliff.

A caveat on route-finding - the section above Zeacliff for the next 1/4 mile or so is tricky. It crosses a flat boggy area, and it can be tough to find where it re-enters the scrub. It also blows pretty good in this area and overnight it can obliterate a broken trail. There's a section of West Bond like that too - very windy. Other than that, route-finding is pretty straightforward, even if you're breaking trail.

Personally, with the exception of either end of this trek, I'd plan on breaking trail, especially this winter. With a large group like you have, it shouldn't be too bad, especially if you regularly swap off. On a long trek like that if you swap off about every 200 steps then nobody gets exhausted. This may be easier said than done - I've been on many trips were someone insisted they were fine staying too long in front, then they bonk and become a liability, but that's the subject of another thread.

If you're interested in company, I know of another hiker needing Zealand to finish. I'll PM his name to you.

Kevin Rooney said:
On a long trek like that if you swap off about every 200 steps then nobody gets exhausted. This may be easier said than done
My ridiculously over-complicated watch/altimeter/HR monitor/can opener has "interval timers" which I can set to beep every three minutes (or two, or five). I've found it useful for switching lead: when it beeps, step aside and the next guy takes over, no questions. Then you have about two minutes to eat/adjust clothing/empty the bladder before taking off after the leader.

Although dripping with technology, this approach lets me establish a nice easy rhythm and not worry about when I should be switching.

Thanks for the info, guys. We'll probably switch off every 100 or so steps to start - enough for 2 or 3 minutes - and possibly moderate depending upon how tough the going is.

Thanks especially for the route-finding tips, Kevin. I appreciate it.

I do know there was a trip on Sunday to Bondcliff via the Wilderness Trail. As Kevin mentioned, usually getting to the hut should be OK. Between the hut and the ridge (near Mt. Guyot) is anybody's guess. The biggest concern I see is that if you do run out of gas once you get past Zealand Mtn., you are still a long way away from any trailhead.

Here's a tip on rotating trail-breaking duties, which comes from paceline riding on a bicycle. Rather than "speed up" for the stronger/faster hiker(s) (rider(s)) turns at the front, take a longer turn at the front. And the slower members take shorter turns, or skip every other rotation or something like that. This maximizes the average speed of the group and equalizes the workload by ability more than by time.

This will also happen 'naturally' if when your turn is done and you pull over, you get back into the line when there is a gap, not necessarily at the back end of the line.

Tim

Yeah I agree it will be tough to meet your time constraints with the Bonds currently as a ridiculous amount of snow has fallen this year and in the last week 2-3 feet fell on top of that. So give yourself a small plan and if you get further then so be it. I think Zealand will be a challenging trip in its own, let alone all of the Bonds. -Mattl

I keep looking at this thread and I am trying to imagine how buried the Twinway must be - it tends to be buried deep and long even in years that we have a moderate snowfall - this year will be nuts!
Be careful and have fun!

Sounds like, at this point, it might be easier to just burrow underneath it instead of trying to stay on top.

If you threw in the towel on Dicey Mill be careful not to underestimate the workout the Bonds will give you. Even the downhill sections with leeside snow are going to be tough if it isn't very consolidated and will use up alot of time. If you folks are just looking for a winter camping experience there are other options such as Owl's Head or Isolation where you would be breaking out your own return trip. They are not the Bonds but current snow conditions are pretty demanding. ;)

Wilderness Trail

I XC skied the PEMI on the East side and out the West side from Lincoln Woods last Saturday and can confirm there were shoe traks coming out of the Bond Cliff trail at 3:00.

Methinks any tracks above tree line were blown out on Sunday. Best of Luck on your Trip!

Thanks for all your advice guys. We'd like to challenge ourselves and see just what the conditions are like up there. I'm expecting the 80-100 inches of snow on the Twinway. Should be pretty amazing.

I'm not expecting to see the Bonds, most likely not even Guyot. We'll go in as far as we can and make camp Saturday night and probably just go out the same way we came in on Sunday. I'll report back on what the conditions were like.

-Mike

We (a party of 7) climbed West Bond and Bond from Zealand hut 10 days ago, but our tracks must have been covered by now. Be aware, routefinding can be a little bit tricky around Zeacliff's summit.

Just on the off chance anyone might be wondering, we've decided to bag the trip for this weekend. The weather forecast has done us in. No need to tempt fate. The mountain will still be there in April, the next time we have a window of availability for the trip.

Looks like it'll be a day hike on Sunday, should the weather clear, instead of the backpacking trip...

Thanks to everyone who replied, though. I appreciate your input.

-Mike

mlafleur said:
Just on the off chance anyone might be wondering, we've decided to bag the trip for this weekend. The weather forecast has done us in. No need to tempt fate. The mountain will still be there in April, the next time we have a window of availability for the trip.

Looks like it'll be a day hike on Sunday, should the weather clear, instead of the backpacking trip...

Thanks to everyone who replied, though. I appreciate your input.

-Mike

Sounds like a wise choice. We'd hate to have to talk about you on here for the next week :p . Keep in mind, with the way the winter is going, you will likely still encounter some deep, rotten snow on the same troublesome stretches.