Books, maps, trail available (mostly New England)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
Life change time coming up; I probably won't have the opportunity to use most of these until they're superseded by a newer edition. (In some cases they already have...) So freely available to anyone who can meet me in Boston (maybe a beer night sometime, no rush on my end) or send me a few bucks for shipping. More to come as I finish up the NEHH; all are in very good to excellent shape.

Similarly, if you're thinking of adopting a trail...I'm about to give up a nice one :) and I'd love to find someone from Views who could care for it, particularly so I can hand over all my notes.

Italic is claimed since we don't have strikeout
Maine:
ATC guide to Maine, 14th (2004) Ed, incl. 7 plastic maps
AMC ME mountain guide, 9th (2005) ed, incl. 2 paper maps
Tyvek version of Baxter/Rangeley/Gulf Hagas map for above

Mass:
Rubel bike map, Cape Cod/Islands and North shore, 3rd ed, paper
Rubel bike map, Eastern Mass, 2nd ed, paper
NE Cartographics Greylock map, 5th (2002) ed, paper, ripped on one fold but usable
ATC Guide to AT in MA-CT, 11th (2000) ed., w/3 plastic maps

NH:
Nat Geo Trails Illustrated 741 Presis/Gorham, 2002. Plastic.
Nat Geo Trails Illustrated 740 Franc Notch/Lincoln, 2002. Plastic.
7.5' Quads, all have been folded (into sixths), all dated 1995:
Waterville Valley, Mount Osceola, Crawford Notch, South Twin Mountain, Center Sandwich, Stairs Mtn., Squam Moutains, Lincoln, Franconia, Mount Carrigain, Mount Tripyramid
ATC guide to the AT in NH/VT, second (1968) edition, incl. (paper) maps and complete instructions on how to kill a porcupine
ATC guide to AT in NH/VT, tenth (2001) ed., incl. 4 plastic maps
WODC tyvek map of Sandwich Range, second (1995) ed.
AMC S. NH Trail Guide, 2nd (2005) ed., incl. paper map, and tyvek of the same thing.

Vermont:
DeLorme VT atlas, 12th (2007) ed.
Long Trail Guide, 26th (2007) ed.
Day Hiker's Guide to Vermont, 5th (2006) ed.
Plastic Wilderness Map LT map, 3rd (2007) ed.
Paper freebie maps of Camel's Hump state park, Worcester Range, Little River area
Map Adventures paper Northern VT map, 3rd (2006) ed.
Equinox Preserve map, 2007 ed, free at the TH but handy to plan ahead
(See NH for ATC guides)

New York:
ADK Catskill Trails, 3rd (2005) ed.
NYNJTC Catskill maps, 5-map tyvek set, 8th (2005) ed.

Other:
ATC guide to AT in TN/NC, 11th (2001) ed., incl. two plastic ATC maps and Nat Geo Trails Illustrated (plastic) 229 Smokies Natl Park, 2003 ed.
CO quads: Snowmass Mtn, Maroon Bells, Capitol Peak, Highland Peak
Beymer Boundary Waters guides, both volumes, fourth (2000) ed.

Last edited:
Reactions: arm
What's the life change (if you'll tell us) that you'd give away such fine maps, and what's the trail you're giving up?
Moving, but employer hasn't made an official offer yet so I'm not getting specific in public until then.

Trail is the upper half of the Avalon trail, very nice and in perennial need of TLC. We've caught up on the brushing and drainage backlog pretty well but there are plenty of other projects in addition to staying on top of that. And it's nice to have a side trip to the summit of Avalon for the lunch break.

Would be interested in anything not in NH. (Would love to hear that you'll be staying & needing the stuff more still)

Wow, what a bummer. First let me say having the opportunity to hike your adopted section last autumn, I truly commend you for your hard work, and the Whites will obviously lose a very devoted Trailworker. Anyone who adopts this inherits a fine trail due to your work.

When I had to leave New England for work reasons it was the worst. I went from Coos County to MA ( though I still travelled into NH), then was asked to transfer down here to help out and when they realigned and divided up New England into the proper districts they promised to bring me back. UGH. They never divided New England into as many districts as they planned, thus there was no reason to bring me back. I'm GLAD to have work (I've been with them 18+ yrs), but the funk I went into was about as dark as I've ever been in my life.

Much success wherever you go, and hopefully you'll be able to make it back to hike as much as you can.