Boot Spur to Mount Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
Boot Spur Trail to Davis Path and Lawn Cutoff then the Tuckerman Ravine Trail to summit of Mount Washington. I took the Lion Head Trail down.
Boot Spur Trail was in good shape. There was not too much mud below tree line. There were a few piles of new lumber along the trail. Looks like trail crews will be along soon to put in some new bog bridges. I don't recall a single blowdown along Boot Spur. My complements to the trail maintainers. Above tree line was just the expected rock hopping.
Bugs weren't an issue. I put bug spray on before I left the parking lot, but the wind was sustained at over 50 mph according to the MWO web page, so bugs were a non-issue. I wore my shell jacket and liner gloves the entire time in the alpine zone. I should have put on some sun screen. My legs and the back of my neck got a bit of sunburn.
Recommended gear: Shell jacket, fleece or other insulating layer if you make any extended stops, light gloves, warm hat. I also had rain shell pants in case I needed them, but I was fine in shorts thanks to the nice sunny sky!
Boot Spur was a good choice to get a bit of solitude while hiking Mount Washington on a day when the Tuck Trail and Lion Head were fairly busy.

Woody