Boots and Blisters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desalad

Reaction score
Framingham, MA Avatar: Terrace Mtn Leanto S
So I have a pair of Asolo FSN 90 GTX boots that I bought a few years ago. I feel like I've broken them in quite well, and have worn them on several multi-day winter trips in the whites and catskills.

I'm still getting REALLY bad blisters on the back of my heals. I'll spare the gore but lets just say they are really bad. I'm curious if a lot of others get blisters, and how you deal with them.

Could it be that my heals are just always going to be prone to blisters, or could it definitely be my boots?

happened to me this weekend becouse I wore a pair of socks that were to thick. I felt the difference right away when I put my boots on, my feet just felt to packed in there. Went ahead anyway and felt great going up. coming down I felt the oncoming of blisters on both my heals. I have worn these boot before with no proble. Might try thinner socks along with a base layer sock made of wicking material.

Right fit is everything.....but with mountaineering type boots the perfect fit in my opinion can be difficult to find.... tailoring and modifications are often done to make for a good "fit."

I'm convinced that I have "tender feet" and occasional Winter hiking can sometimes cause blisters if the fit is just a bit off....I think the more often you hike the tougher your feet will be.

Most of us wear lightweight lofers everyday to an office environment...wear your boots more often for short periods and maybe that will help...or at least give you more feedback on the fit....

When I wear a new pair of boots I always hike alone...so I don't screw the trip up for anyone else..

Desalad said:
Could it be that my heals are just always going to be prone to blisters, or could it definitely be my boots?

If it happens every time than it definitely could be the boot fit.

Try putting a strip of tape over your ankles before you start. ( I use plain old white athletic tape). I do this all the time with known "hot spots". When I wear my crampons I often feel a hot spot developing on the back of my ankle, tape has worked well for me.

Hope this helps.

-Shayne

It's been a long time since I've had blisters on my feet, and they were because of the shoes. If it only happens with those boots, I'd try new boots. It won't cost anything to go to your local hiking store and try on different models; you may find one that fits better.

My biggest problem is that my socks tend to slip down into my boots after a while, exposing my Achilles tendons to the back of my boots. This results in quite possibly one of the most painful blisters I've ever had.

Spaddock's got the right idea - use some athletic tape, but be sure to wrap it around a few times so it won't slip. Though it may sound obvious, duct tape is not a recommended substitute if you forget to bring athletic tape! For once, an emoticon perfectly describes my face when I was ripping that stuff off my ankles: :eek: !

1) Loosen your boots instead of tightening them. Too tight just grinds your heels back in the pockets. If you need tightness across the forefoot to keep your toes from hitting the front of the boots on descents, use a triple or quad overhand knot at the top of the foot so the bottom laces can be tight and your ankle laces more loose. Some boots have lace locks which help with this. On really stiff boots, I've gone so far as using 2 sets of laces.

2) Apply Tincture of Benzoin to your heels on a daily basis for a month prior to a hike. It helps toughen the skin. Also called Friars Balsam. Available at many pharmacies from the pharmacists. They may need to special order it for you.

MrAmeche said:
Spaddock's got the right idea - use some athletic tape, but be sure to wrap it around a few times so it won't slip.
Risky. Wrapping tape all the way around can cut off circulation particularly if there is some swelling. In winter, it can cause frostbite.

If tape won't stay on, try sticking it on with tincture of Benzoin.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Risky. Wrapping tape all the way around can cut off circulation particularly if there is some swelling. In winter, it can cause frostbite.

Yep, I never wrap it all the way around. If I prewrap before I get all sweaty it usually stays on for the hike.

-Shayne

DougPaul said:

Good point, and I agree; I should have clarified to be aware of how tight the wrap is. Most times, I find that the natural movement of walking loosens up any tightness that may incur from wrapping.

I've found that if I only stick a piece of athletic tape anywhere on my feet, it tends to fall off from sweating.

I'm thinking that because you have friction occuring on your heel area, quite possibly you may need to raise your heel higher in your boot. You may try putting in heel pads and see if that works. Also, try wearing a liner with your hiking socks, this will also prevent friction between your skin and sock.
kmac

I would say get some new boots. I have a few pairs of shoes and boots that do the same thing. My skin on the heel is now a different color b/c of losing too much skin. You could also put a bandaid over the area when you hike, that'll help it somewhat. I'm still trying to "break in" a pair of cross trainers that i got in college 5 or 6 years ago, every time i try, i donate skin and blood. I've realized that those shoes are a sunk investment now.

boot fit, breaking in boot, toughening up foot, right sox, proper lacing to accomodate entire foot, is all critical.

I second and third Tincure of benzoin for prevention and "treatment', used everyday for a bit and prior to putting on tape (which should be crossed over infront to keep from cutting circulation).

Hurting feet rot :( , Good Luck with whatever you do!

I have this same problem and I guess I've just gotten used to it. Last year my cross country ski boots that i hadn't used in a couple of years gave me the worst problems and I was told at the ski shop (where i swapped em' for a better fit) that i've got a narrow heel. Insoles and other stuff don't seem to help much either. I wore my new Montrail olympus boots last weekend and was totally fine in them, but could feel a "rub" especially on the right ankle on Saturday on the Tripyramids hike. Lo and behold, when I got home both ankles were very "rubbed" .... the right one was, in fact, very Curt Shilling-esque !!!! :eek:

Hiking today, after the injury the other day it was a tiny bit tender, but with better sock arrangement I didn't have a repeat of Saturday. I think I just need to be really cognizant of this potential problem and try to use moleskin, bandaids and/or duct tape (it has absolutely worked for me) preemptively when I think I may have too much room in that part of my boot. Even when I know my boot is rubbing back there, I won't stop to do anything about it, but I think I've just gotten so used to it that I don't let it bother me at this point. It helps to know I'm not the only one walking around in bloody socks now and then :D .

This is more for shorter, lighter-weight hikes, so it may not be relevant to your heavier, multi-day hikes, but applying a generous dose of vaseline on your usual hot spots alleviates the friction. I had a lot of success with this for trailrunning and dayhike blister problems.
Otherwise, I'd first try a multitude of sock combinations and thicknesses to see if that doesn't help. I wind up wearing the same socks with the same boots once I finally find the perfect combo.
Maybe you should ask Josh Beckett what he uses? :p

Try slathering your heels with some Vaseline - it will help cut down on the friction. Contrary to the "toughening" idea, I think that the more soft and supple your skin is the MORE resistant it is to friction/abrasion/blisters.
If you are getting significant heel lift, a thicker insole (or heel block) might help shim your foot "up" into the boot and help prevent any motion that might be the cause of the blistering.

Last edited:
I have a pair of boots where a worn out spot in the lining was causing a
blister
The "loop" section from some stick-on, hook & loop dots, placed on the offending area, took care of the problem

Another area to consider is how tightly you are hooking your snowshoe strap. Particularly the one that goes around your heel. If you are pulling it too tightly, it will create extra pressure from the boot onto your heel. Consider loosening this back strap.