Boots good for winter ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tough to say without actually seeing them - but they look like a mountaineering boot that should be fine (warm, etc.) for normal condtions in the winter in the whites. Thats being said, they look to be more of a climbing boot rather than hiking.

I just switched from a koflach to a leather mountainering boot (like what linked too) this past year. I have noticed that my stiff leather are awesome on snow - but when I hiked with them on rock, scree, etc.. - they are tough on the feet. ie - made for steep snow and ice - not really hiking IMO.

just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Jason,
Fit, comfort and warmth is what it's all about. IMHO I'd head out to the nearest REI or EMS and try on some of their RENTAL stock. That would give you a good idea of fit. Then I'd head to North Conway and check the consignment (and rental sales) at IME and EMS. (There - I gave you 2 good reasons to go shopping and up to the Whites this weeklend :D )

I use Koflach Degres and love them. The Asolo's look like a decent boot, but without trying them, you are taking a big chance. Stiff winter boots that don't fit right chew up feet fast. With winter boots, you don't break in the boot as much as you break in your feet to the boot. Easing that process as much as possible makes life (and winter hiking) a heck of a lot more fun. Good luck!

For general winter peakbagging I switched from plastic Asolo's to the much more "comfortable to hike in" Columbia Bugagootoo's... plenty warm and accepts a hinged crampon without fuss.

Onestep

I use a pair of Koflach Verticals for winter hiking and climbing. They're wondeful for both in my opinion and I certainly don't have trouble keeping my crampons on them. The one perk of these boots over most koflachs is that they actually are made for ice climbing. It may not logically make sense but they have slightly less insulation than the average plastic boot, making them lighter and easy to use on hiking trips as well. One doesn't really need Himalaya-force insulation for most stuff in the whites, so I have come to appreciate the somewhat sleeker and not overly-hot feel on my feets.
A friend actually borrowed them to do Mont Blanc, and they returned with rave reviews, and a lot more worn looking. So they can handle the real stuff as well.

Pamola said:
I use a pair of Koflach Verticals for winter hiking and climbing. They're wondeful for both in my opinion and I certainly don't have trouble keeping my crampons on them. The one perk of these boots over most koflachs is that they actually are made for ice climbing.
Technical boots getnerally have a rigid sole which is good for ice climbing, but a bit less efficient and comfortable for walking.

Doug
Who has a pair of techical boots that he uses/used for both climbing and hiking.