Boots - Salomon SM lites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJH

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience, comments, or opinions on these boots?
Salomon SM lites

www.backcountry.com/store/SAL0246/c11/s21/Salomon-SM-Lite-Hiking-Boots-Mens.html is selling them for 107.00, marked down from 180.00.

They got good reviews and I would only use them for winter peakbagging in the whites maybe a couple of times a year. Of course, no overnights. I'm looking to get into something more rigid than the packboots I normally use for strap crampons, and I don't think you can beat the price.

Thanks, TJH

Last edited:
I'm on my second winter season with these boots and find them very good. Plenty warm enough for dayhiking. I use a Wright Sock mid weight liner with a Patagonia expedition weight. I have a wide foot and high instep but have had no trouble with them at all. Great boot.

Bob

These look interesting but there is no mention of insulation. How warm are they?

Carole - I find them plenty warm enough with with the sock combo I use. My hiking partner, Karen, also has a pair and we were out early yesterday at 0* without complaint.

The only time I had trouble was last winter on Jackson when it was -9* at the Highland center and considerabley colder with a wicked wind chill up top.

While messing around setting up the tripod for a summit self portrait I forgot to keep wiggling and when I got ready to leave a few minutes later I realized I couldn't feel the toes on my left foot.

I headed down at a good pace to get the blood flowing, wiggling toes I couldn't feel. Within a couple of minutes feeling came back and then they hurt like h*ll for a few minutes more before getting back to normal. No after effects so I caught it in time.

With a good sock combo (and paying attention) I'd say they were good for winter dayhikes down to -10*

Of course, the usual disclaimer applies - your mileage may vary :)

Bob