Boston Globe article on grid hiking NH 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Reaction score
I thought the article was fantastic! However, did anyone else notice the rather questionable location of Cannon on the map in the printed version? Perhaps it's only my copy, but the mountain appears to be between Liberty and Lincoln... I found this rather funny. :p

This is the trip I reported on last month, but not on this site, here is the link. I was a bit surprised to find a reporter and a photographer joining us but it actually added a fun element to the hike. I had met Ed a couple of times before, but this was my first time hiking with him. He's a great guy, and the joy he shows in hiking is just amazing and infectious. I doubt I'll ever do the grid myself, but it still amazes me that people are willing and able to do this.

Ed... He's a great guy, and the joy he shows in hiking is just amazing and infectious.
Ditto. I've been a long time HikerEd fan.
I'm young enough that if I'm still hiking at 62, I'll get the grid done. I won't miss out on hike simply for having done it in a particular month previously, but I will keep record of it all. :)

I love the concept of the grid. If you're into checklists (as I am), it's a great excuse/motivator to keep getting out there, as much as possible. Also, I imagine it's wonderful to watch the same mountain/trails change with the seasons. I fully intend to do the grid, but at the rate I'm going it will take me at least 13 years to do so. And what a great way to get/stay in shape!

The grid list is silly

I'm sorry, but there are too many other areas and mountains to climb.
Being tied down to just those peaks borders on OCD.

Yes, there are many other mountains out there, agreed. Doing the grid doesn't have to mean that you ignore all the other mountains and places.

I admit, I AM on the OCD side. Having a giant goal like the grid is fun and somewhat comforting to me. I'm not in any hurry, so I can hike everything else too. However, I do like checklists, that's just my personality. If I can put a checkmark on that list every month or so, I feel like I've accomplished something major. I know this is a personality thing. I suspect others who think they will one day finish the grid feel somewhat the same way (?).

The concept of the grid may be silly indeed, I guess if I think about it long enough, it DOES seem kind of ridiculous. Still, I like the concept, and I'll have fun doing it (and I am SURE I won't finish before I'm 60).

Just one potential grid accomplisher's POV, for what it's worth.

I understand the comment but personally I won't say it's silly just because I don't want to knock anyone that's into it. Hike your own hike, as they say, and if doing the grid gives someone a feeling of accomplishment or is just plain fun, who am I to say anything against it? Personally I would never aim for completing it, not only because there are so many other nice hikes out there, but because doing 4Ks in particular calendar months doesn't hold any appeal for me. I do enjoy seeing some of the mountains in different seasons, but whether I hike to a particular peak on Nov. 30 or Dec. 1 makes no difference to me. I'm not even interested in the "winter 48" list. But again, for the people that like that kind of thing, more power to you. I've learned that there's no value in saying that other people's hiking goals/styles are any less worthwhile than my own.

From what I know, most of the grid hikers do hike in other areas and climb other mountains, in fact probably far more OTHER peaks than climbed by most people who post on this site. Grid hikers simply enjoy being on the trail in all seasons a lot, most likely at the expense of other non-hiking extra-curricular activities.

From what I know, most of the grid hikers do hike in other areas and climb other mountains, in fact probably far more OTHER peaks than climbed by most people who post on this site. Grid hikers simply enjoy being on the trail in all seasons a lot, most likely at the expense of other non-hiking extra-curricular activities.

I have hiked with a few people who are serious about grid hiking (not mentioned in the article) and come to think of it, a 4000 footer was never the destination on any of those trips. Whether working to the grid or some other list, goal-oriented hiking has its appeal for a lot of us. I would think that would be even more true for the enviable few with lots of free time to spend in the mountains.

Have I ever mentioned how much I appreciate evilhanz's sporadic, almost rare postings? (S)he's an enigma to me and has inspired the last 10 years of my internet life. Have we ever crossed paths in person, evilhanz?

How does one have such discipline to read through all the poo and only post when it really, really matters?

Carry on...

I understand the comment but personally I won't say it's silly just because I don't want to knock anyone that's into it. .

I'm not knocking anyone, I just think it's silly...Just my opinion. If you feel the need to hike Galehead Mtn in June, then July, and then August good for you!

From what I know, most of the grid hikers do hike in other areas and climb other mountains, in fact probably far more OTHER peaks than climbed by most people who post on this site. QUOTE]
No matter what, we only have a finite number of days to be in the woods. A day spent working the grid is a day that could be spent exploring something new, or a little more challenging...

something new or a little more challenging............

Maybe the route to Adams & Washington in October was via the Airline, Gulfside, & Crawford Path, under the Full Moon, while witnessing a group of Canadian Geese in migration flying thru Sphinx Col

Waumbek is via Terrace Mtn & the Kilkenny Ridge Trail

Owl's Head in November is via the Twin Brook trail - 13 Falls & a bushwhack up the north side of the mountian

Carrigain is approached from The Captain and the south side of the mountain

Is it to be assumed that the only hikes they go on are only those in pursuit of The Grid :confused:

Hats off to Mr Ed, whom has single handedly taught hundreds of folks the love of the trails and many of the how-to's. He has mentored folks whom may never have taken up hiking because they were a bit timid about striking off into the woods.

That opinion is shared by Gene Daniell, the first reported grid completer :)

But as Dr.D says, many grid completers (including Gene) just do a lot of hiking period and the grid is only part of it

Obviously someone that hikes the easiest trail every time gets a different experience than someone who arrives from every compass point, but they're far closer philosophically than some one who just watches TV

And don't be discouraged Trish, after 50 years I'm only half done :)

Have we ever crossed paths in person, evilhanz?

Thanks spencer. I don't think we've met. I've mostly been a solo hiker and I don't recognize you from the ShoeString Gully pics. I hike with groups now as often as I can so I'll probably bump into you sooner or later.

How does one have such discipline to read through all the poo and only post when it really, really matters?

There are a lot of smart people posting here, so usually by the time I see a thread I might want to post in, anything worth saying has already been said better by someone else. I don't like to add noise. :D I think my wife reads the forums more than I do and she doesn't even have an account!