Boston's Wilderness House Under New Owners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
Bob Smith's Wilderness House on Comm Ave in Boston has been sold to the Joe Jones Ski people and is now having a 20% to 70% storewide clearance of all inventory. I don't know if this means their hiking gear selection will be reduced in future but take advantage of the sale while you can.

I was just in there this afternoon. Thus far most everything is about 20% off, with backpacks and tents at 25%. Things were pretty busy, and items like helmets, crampons, and ice axes were selling out quickly.

As soon as I saw this post, I went to see what I could find...I got 25% off a great Osprey pack, and 20% off some Mountain Hardwear gaiters that will fit over my plastic boots--both great deals, I just wasn't expecting to spend that kind of $$ this weekend!!

I asked one of the employees about the change...they said that the new store will still sell the same kind of stuff, and that they will honor all store credits and gift certificates. I think I heard that this clearance sale will run through the end of February. Most is at 20-25% off, some at 50% off, but I didn't see anything at 70% off.

-katie

Katie,thanks for the heads up on the MH gaiters. I picked up 2 pairs last night for Mrs.KD and I.
I must have way too much gear-I couldn't find anything else to buy! :eek:

Still plenty there as of 1/16

The climbing stuff is going pretty fast. I think they were down to their last two pairs of crampons by last night, mountaineering styles only. Plenty of nice packs, all sizes. Lots of sleeping bags. TONS of outerwear still. The sailboard and kayak department looked really well stocked as well. I asked if there would be further price reductions and the salesperson would not predict.

I hope they don't change, but something tells me they will slowly phase out the climbing/camping/hiking stuff & replace it with mostly ski & kayaking stuff.
They always go where the most profits are!
When I first went there about 1984 to get some winter mountaineering gear, it was nice to have people that actualy knew what they were talking about. We were young & foolish (now we're older & foolish) and loved the treatment we got & the place was very basic & prices were nice too. Back then it was just The Wilderness House. Then somewhere along the way it changed to Bob Smith's W. H. A fancier place & the prices went up to fit the new look.
I still enjoy going in there but have to watch for sales. They have met the need for a piece of gear or clothing that I couldn't find elsewhere several times over the years. I came to know a lot of them.
I do hope they don't change!