Boundary Peak and North Peak Round Mountain 7/3/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
After a much needed day of rest for both of us Sadie and I headed back into Canada to try Boundary Peak again. This time was successful as we walked along the swath taking in the "local scenery" and summiting Boundary Peak. The man at the gate house keeps saying there are no views from Boundary Peak. He obviously has never been there as the views up and down the swath were incredible on this perfect day! Upon reaching the gravel pit-parking lot there was a Subaru with NH plates parked there. I didn't pass anyone on the trail so they either bushwhacked another way or went down to Monument 450 first. Was it anyone from this group?
After a scenic drive into Lac Megantic to get rid of some of my Canadian Money on lunch, we went back across the border. No border trouble either way but it is interesting that every time you cross you get asked different questions.
The second climb of the day was Round Mountain North Peak. I really enjoy driving into the Penobscot Nation land. It is so different than most of the logged over Maine woods. The road was in absolute perfect shape and the trail up toward Snow Mt. Pond was muddy at times but mostly in great shape as usual. Just before the pond you turn left on another ATV trail and at about 2800 feet it levelled off so there started the bushwhack. It was mostly open woods until reaching the broad flat summit where most of the trees were now blowdowns and the summit had become overgrown with raspberries. I reached 2 likely highpoints but no cannister. Since 90% of the trees were down the cannister if any was probably buried. The whack back was longer as I tried to cut off the corner a little bit and avoid more raspberries that were near the bottom.
We camped at the MFS campsite at the corner of Beaudry and West Branch Road. Was suprised no one was there when we pulled up just after 7. The intent was to do another peak first thing this morning but an ominous sky and persistent drizzle sent us home. Gamehiker

Thanks for the trip report... well done!
The Rounds are on my radar so I was wondering if you where able to get any sense of how the woods are that lead from N peak across to the Middle & East peaks?
Also, not to spill the beans, but I was thinking of holding 'whack-fest tree' up off the Beaudry Rd at the MFS campsite where you stayed. How is that campsite? Is it a single tent spot or does it have mutiple sites? Do you need a fire permit or is it one of the few sites where no permit is required? Is the road generaly in good condition up to that point?

Onestep

I didn't get a look at the woods between the peaks but the woods I went thru on the way up were not thick at all. Maybe they are the same towards the other 2 peaks. It was just the top that was rough. Much like SW Cow Ridge IMO a good winter hike.
The MFS campsite is large enough for several tents. You could also tent a few yards down on the left where an old woods road goes in. Yes it does require a fire permit. There is even a privy across the road. Beaudry Road is in good shape all the way in and West Branch is in good shape at least to the campsite but it's only 100 yards in off Beaudry. There is also a campsite on the corner of Beaudry and West Branch but a tent camper was there and looked semi-permanent. Gamehiker