Boundary Peak, NV State High Point, by the Queen Mine Route

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C.

Reaction score
In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
Here is a step by step map approach to Boundary Peak that we used in 2001. This is a shorter and what appears to be easier route than the traditional eastern NV approach. It is also a shorter drive if you want to combine this with Mt. Whitney, the CA high point. Make copies of these overlapping links and you have all the maps you'll need. Be advised this area is completely open and exposed. Bring all weather related gear, water, etc. This was originally set up to assist Bob "Frodo" with his successful summer 2005 climbs of both Boundary and Whitney. Perhaps Bob will add his comments about this route.

MAP 1 Start of back road to Queen Mine off Rt. 6 (Northeast of Benton, CA) in the upper left corner.

MAP 2 Following the most prominent road basically SE will take you to Queen Mine.

MAP 3 Road was passable by 2WD vehicle when we visited in 2001.

MAP 4 Red Cross : Queen Mine (park 2WD here). You may possibly drive to col just south of Kennedy Point if 4WD.

MAP 5 From Kennedy Point (upper right corner), hike up along this ridge (worn trail) to Trail Canyon Saddle.

MAP 6 Follow scree ridge (very loose) by myriad of herd paths to the summit of Boundary Peak. Have fun!

great maps!
I hope to climb boundary when I go back to CA next summer

and yes, summitpost is an excellent site

Thanks Dennis for this information. I was really bummed that we did not make it up Boundary when we were in the area during the summer. This information, combined with the tips I received from Frodo, are going to make my return trip planning a lot easier!

- Ivy

A few of us are talking about putting a trip together to go back to Whitney, and grab Boundary while we're out there. Also spend time in the CA Whites.

Alan

Was asked to revive the thread, so here I am...

Anybody know if a simply front wheel drive sedan can handle the roads on the way to the trailhead? Am in the process of looking at car rentals for the Whitney/Boundary Peak part of the western invasion this year.

Jay

we drove a rental mini-van to the trailhead with only scratches to the paint from bushes on the side of the road. but we did have the head gasket blow out .5 miles from the trailhead and had to limp back to the whitney portal where the rental company gave us a replacement.

camping in the meadow that is the trailhead was fantastic. we had the place to ourselves the whole time. small stream for water, a fire ring (6 years ago) and a great place for night sky viewing.

go

We used a regular 2WD car and had no problem on the main road into the Queen Mine (2001). Conditions do change for sure from year to year. I first looked into this alternate approach on topo maps after I'd heard problems from Highpointers on the longer and rougher eastern route (which apparently requires 4WD). This is an especially good way to go if you're trying to combine this hike with Whitney .... much shorter distance between trailheads.