Brachial plexus strain, anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Tuesday

Reaction score
I seem to have pulled my brachial plexus while hiking two weeks ago. it didn't present until a full day after my hike and it exhibits as pain/pressure in my chest and neck and some neuropathy in my extremeties. (I've been to a doctor, it is not heart failure.)

I don't remember hurting myself during the hike, but I guess that the repetitive action of pole use and pushing myself up onto rocks combined with the pull of my pack straps contributed to this.

I'm going to see a neurologist, but just wondering if anyone has experienced this, and also wondering how long it took to recover?

What this on your Wildcats traverse? If so, I imagine fatigue could have played a role in it by the end of that long day. Get better soon; it's almost ski season. :)

Are you hanging too much of your pack weight from your shoulder straps? I can see this happening if your weight isn't distributed so that most of it is on your hips.

If your pack doesn't have a hip belt maybe you should get one that does or if its a small enough pack to not need a hip belt maybe use a fanny pack.

Just a thought.

Keith

I have had what might be a similar-in-kind injury: damage to to suprascapular nerve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suprascapular_nerve where it runs through the suprascapular notch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suprascapular_notch caused by a pack strap. It basically shut down a shoulder muscle (infraspinatous).

The nerve is purely a motor nerve so I never felt any pain--the symptoms were difficulty with certain shoulder movements and a hollow over part of the shoulder blade when the muscle atrophied due to lack of use. These did not show until a day or more after hiking (don't really remember how long, but they first showed on a non-hiking day).

The neurologist performed electrical tests and was able to determine that the muscle was denervated (disconnected). He said that the nerve would grow back at ~2mm/week unless the pathway was blocked by scar tissue. It took a while, but it healed and the muscle filled out after a while. (I was also forbidden from wearing a pack strap over that shoulder for several months.) It appears to be completely healed, but I don't remember very well how long it took (several months?)--the injury was ~28 years ago.

Doug

Last edited:
What this on your Wildcats traverse? If so, I imagine fatigue could have played a role in it by the end of that long day. Get better soon; it's almost ski season. :)

yes, dave, it must of happened on said traverse though I didn't notice until a full day later. true, I don't want to endanger my ski season but if I don't get my last peak soon I may throw myself out of a window, which would also endanger my ski season.

I think my pack fits correctly but perhaps I will bring it to my neorologist appt tomorrow so they can assess... will also ask about the suprascapular nerve-- thanks!!