Brand New VT Map Quiz!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
Here you go folks. Remember, same rules apply as the other quizzes. You map savants need to leave some for others to answer. 1 answer per person, if you know em all, pm me and I'll give you all the cookies and green squares you can eat.

Tallyho!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

#9. Eagle Mountain

Tip off was the CHA in the Water and the fact that it's only 500 odd feet high.

#1 and #6 also look familiar.

#3 Nebraska Notch and Taylor lodge on the Long Trail, Underhill & Stowe nearest towns. Very excited to get one of these. Just lucky that it's in my backyard. :)

#4 is Carrigain, I can tell by the fire tower. :eek:

Actually, it's Ascutney

damn, I was 20 minutes too late. #4 was easy.

so I guess I have to pick another one. #1 is Monadnock.

#8 is easy too, but I'll have to wait.

Last edited:
you're all right so far. except pigpen. i was looking for den Mönch in the Alps. You were way off. get back to class. slacker.

Extra credit to Papa Bear for getting the "toughie" of the group. Sub 3k peaks are tough for some people.... (me)

Oops. While I was picking Monadnock, Steve Hiker beat me to it.
So today's entry from me is Tillotson, the #7 peak.

Drats! Way too slow on this one

I was all excited, got out my gazetteer, figured out #9 (my speed...fairly easy due to the Champlain hint and Long Lake off to the side) and then read the rest of the posts. Doh. I'm 5 hours behind the times.

Thanks Pamola!

Toe Cozy said:
Okay, it's too late. I have to go to bed, but I swear I've been on #6. It's shape is so familiar. It's making me crazy that I haven't figured it out yet. Crazy in a good way.

It should be familiar... VERY familiar, and it should be very fresh in your memory :) muhahahahahahaha! Such ill named peaks!

I may have engaged in some trickery on 5. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Your map cropping evil knows no bounds. I think I see the trickery you speak of but the answer you seek draws blank in my mind!

I think I know number 5, after all Vermont is my bread and butter. I might have #10 also, you might be on the road for 9 hours before you figure that one out. However #6 is kicking my butt which is embarrassing since I have probably hiked it if it's a 3k in Vt. It looks sort of like something I know but not close enough to declare that I have it.

marchowes said:
It should be familiar... VERY familiar, and it should be very fresh in your memory :) muhahahahahahaha! Such ill named peaks!

Yes! Yes! That's the one. As I was walking upstairs last night that was the peak I kept thinking about and that I'd have to get out my quad map to double check. What a cool feeling to look at a bit of topo image and say, "Man, that looks so familiar. I know I've been there." Like recognizing a close friend from far away just by how they walk.

Last edited:
Pamola said:
Well done so far folks. Only 3 left. I may have engaged in some trickery on 5. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
#5: The only "trickery" seems to be an inconsistency on the contours. The contour lines would seem to indicate a peak around 3150, the spot elevation shows 3766. Maybe a USGS typo?

#6 hint: the best part is missing.

This is so much more fun than doing work!

well, TC. you can answer it then...

Oh right. Duh.

It's Spruce Peak, of which there are several in Vermont. Two on the 3k list. This one has no spruce on it. Also, Grass Peak is at the top center of your cropped map and I don't remember the name of that sub 3k in the upper left corner. The other spruce peak is in Plainfield, VT. It has a trail and a fire tower and it felt like the longest 2.2 miles I've hiked I've hiked in a long time.

Last edited:
#4 is Carrigain as the firetower gives it away... although what is throwing me off is that I know it's not in Vermont :confused:

-Dr. Wu