Brassie Brook 1.27.07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywood

Reaction score
Sometime early last week Chip and I decided it might be a good time to visit the South Tatonic range for a hike and overnight along the way. We hadn’t hiked together before and are both fairly local to the area so it was a logical choice for a short notice trip. The plan was to meet up at Brassie Brook campsite whenever on Saturday. I do like a certain amount of serendipity when recreating, so this suited me fine.

On Saturday morning Chip asked if it was OK Dave (Lattinhill) and his dog Mya (sp?) joined us, the reason for asking is she forgets your part of the pack if you leave the campsite for five minutes or more and tries to head you off with loud barking. Kind of like 50 Blind Dates was how he described it. I responded this was fine with me though I hadn’t dated a dog yet…

I headed up Underhill Trail on my own Saturday morning in occasional snow and a blustery 15 degree temp. The woods were very quiet with the exception of frozen groaning complaints from a few trees. Things were going well and the PB&J sandwich hit the spot when I joined the AT. My arrival at Brassie Brook Shelter a short time later was disappointing as the front was sealed off with plastic and duct tape, but the voices inside seemed friendly enough. When I finally stuck my head in I was surprised to see a coworker of mine and two of his friends. They shared some tea with me and decided to clear out when I told them I expected a few more folks and a couple of kids as well.

In no time Dave and Mya arrived, the growling was limited as I expected and we headed off to Bear Mtn for some views. When we returned Chip his son Ben and his friend Chris were busy setting camp. We all settled in for a comfortable winter night ……..only to be joined by a couple from NY around 9:00 with hand held lights and ….well they were different, but good company.

Looks like you guys had a great time... I love that shelter!! - it's secluded in the trees, but sits on top of that little hill, which makes the area light and airy.
Maya is such a cute thing :)

cbcbd said:
Maya is such a cute thing :)
"50 First Dates Maya" ;) She actually welcomed us when she first saw us. She only forgot who we were once or twice.

I'll bet you had more fun than we did, but considering we left my house at 1:30 on Sat and were back home by 11:30 on Sunday, it was a great time. I recorded a low outside the tent of about 22' and neither boy woke up the whole night. :)