brasslite stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the starchild

Reaction score
i've been surfin' around a bit looking at alcohol stoves and like this one the best so far. Does anyone own it? Can you post or PM me your experience and opinion of it.

Brasslite Turbo II F Stove

It can be used in the cold. A very effective wind screen may be easily made. It can simmer as well! Simple.

i mostly just boil water, but do cook from time to time or fry.

any alcohol stove advice appreciated as well.

yup, great stove
i have the Turbo II-D (one generation before the F)
nice, very lightweight
you can make a lightweight tin foil windscreen for it
very efficient stove, uses little alcohol great for warmer weather
i still use the ole' svea 123, (circa 1977) for melting snow :D

Barry Sr said:
I use Methyl Alcohol and it does kick up some fumes. I would only use it outside. I used it once just in front of my open tent and I did not like the outcome.
Methanol (methyl or wood alcohol) is poisonous. Not good to breathe or have on your skin. I suggest that you do NOT use it as a stove fuel.

Most people use denatured alcohol which is ethanol (ethyl alcohol, drinking alcohol) plus a bit of methanol (or some similar additive) to make it undrinkable. (Otherwise it gets taxed as booze.) Burns well. Smell is not too bad. You can also use vodka or high-proof grain alcohol, but it hardly seems cost effective... Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) tends to burn with a smoky flame and gives you sooty pots.

You can get denatured alcohol at hardware stores (sold as paint thinner) or at boating stores as stove fuel. Another source is Heet brand car gasoline additive.

Doug

Barry Sr said:
Heet is what I use. I don't have any right now to check but I thought it was basically methyl?
Pretty sure it is mostly ethanol--it is frequently recommended for alcohol stoves. Don't have a bottle here myself--I get denatured alcohol at a hardware store.

There could also be multiple products in similar bottles--check the label next time you get some. If it is methanol, I wouldn't use it for stove fuel--too poisonous.

Doug

i should have been more specific in my question, my bad! :rolleyes:

Is burning denatured alcohol in an alcohol stove inside a cabin a bad idea? before anyone mentions cooking inside... :rolleyes: .....i am just wondering if it would be possible to cook at the rmc cabins with it, where people are allowed to cook...although usually with white gas or cannisters. i am trying to find more ways to cut weight when out solo and this could save a pound!

thanks y'all!

the starchild said:
Is burning denatured alcohol in an alcohol stove inside a cabin a bad idea? before anyone mentions cooking inside... :rolleyes: .....i am just wondering if it would be possible to cook at the rmc cabins with it, where people are allowed to cook...although usually with white gas or cannisters.
Backpacking stoves are infamous for producing carbon monoxide...

I have seen no data on the CO production of an alcohol stove vs that of a white gas or butane stove. It is likely to be rather dependent on the burner design.

I suppose you could bring a battery operated CO detector along... :)

Doug