Brown Ash Swamp Bike Trail 9 June 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Just a few words about an idea that sounded good, but didn't pan out. I had visions of an interesting trail connecting Welch-Dickey to Tripoli Road. I got a taste of the forest service road recently when I traveled on part of it trying to bush whack up Bald Mountain by hazelton Brook. The forest service road starts out something like this.

IMG5694-M.jpg

And this bridge over hazelton Brook.

IMG5696-M.jpg

It seemed like this might be pretty nice mountain bike trail so I brought my wife back there thinking the road myight be like the nice wide forest service road all the way. Not really it ended at 1.5 miles like this.

IMG5698-M.jpg

And then this....

IMG5699-M.jpg

We walked part way in as far as 2nd crossing of Mill Brook. It didn't look too bad, but too rough for my wife's taste. We bailed out. I returned last Saturday by myself with my bike to finish the job. I made it to the 2.5 mile point, but I eventually decided to park the bike and continued on foot because trail was gettng have too many stretches of poor drainage requirng me not only to dismount but to carry the bike. I think this trail may not have been very good to begin with - too much bad drainage. It was a crummy road to begin with. No amount of drainage improvements will ever make this practical as a trail. The trail itself had become the principle drainge for the local area.

IMG5754-L.jpg

I parked the bike and walked another 1.5 mile with my pannier in hand. Time was getting short so I stopped about 1/2 mile from Johnson Brook when I turned back. Not a total loss. I still want to come back to this area to bush whack to Bald Mountain some time and I'm sure this trail will be part of the plan. Plus Brown Ash Swamp is pretty neat place with many happy beavers swimming around. I had the pleasure of hearing one beaver slap his tail 4 times with a load Wappp!!! as he paddled around.

IMG5770-L.jpg

IMG5773-XL.jpg

IMG5774-L.jpg

Last edited: