BSP - Knife Edge Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot of details on the actual reason for rescue. Was ice forming and getting slippery? Running out of daylight? Didn't even mention the ages of the people, gear, etc. Did I miss a section?

Not a lot of details on the actual reason for rescue. Was ice forming and getting slippery? Running out of daylight? Didn't even mention the ages of the people, gear, etc. Did I miss a section?
no mention of injury either

I agree as usual not a lot of details, I saw a couple of versions out there of the same story. A group of six is sort of unusual.

Anyone know details about North Search and Rescue?

Is this a new SAR organization operating within the Park? They have non-profit status.

Looks like it was founded in 2022 and the website has info on operations and joining the group.

Last edited:
My link was to a Fox news source, IMHO a sketchy source, maybe not in YHO ;)
Ah...politics. Remember the rules about questioning news sources based on political views? And, the news story is in no way political...so, just a cheap shot.

Last edited:
Ah...politics. Remember the rules about questioning news sources based on political views? And, the news story is in no way political...so, just a cheap shot.
Not necessarily. The Dominion Voting Systems defamation suit established under oath that Fox promoted stories that they knew to be factually untrue. If that's not "sketchy" journalism, then I don't know what is. Maybe Peakbagger doesn't want to sully his reputation by creating the impression he trusts the "news" from a source that has a documented history of broadcasting factually untrue stories.

Good lord.....If we start to eliminate news sources that bend the truth, or outright lie, we'll have nothing left.
Would that be a bad thing? A news source that is intellectually or morally dishonest is worse than no news at all...which has been my preference for 20 years or so. I've had to turn to Al-Jazeera for a different slant once in awhile

Would that be a bad thing? A news source that is intellectually or morally dishonest is worse than no news at all...which has been my preference for 20 years or so. I've had to turn to Al-Jazeera for a different slant once in awhile
Don't disagree. I do follow the news, try avoid opinions, but also try to look at various sources. That anyone on any side thinks the other has cornered the market on slanted news coverage/outright lies is a curious take. What the reality is anyone can find any source that will tell them what they want to hear if the look hard enough.

Don't disagree. I do follow the news, try avoid opinions, but also try to look at various sources. That anyone on any side thinks the other has cornered the market on slanted news coverage/outright lies is a curious take. What the reality is anyone can find any source that will tell them what they want to hear if the look hard enough.
Well, Fox News is the only purported news source that has settled a defamation suit for more three-quarters of a billion dollars. On the other side, there is no periodical that rigorously fact-checks its articles as the New Yorker, nor does it have an equal on either side in the form of long-form journalism. Anthropogenic climate change is a scientific fact. Period. To my knowledge there are no left-leaning publications that consistently push climate-change-denialism.

@dug, while I wholeheartedly agree that it is best to consume news through a variety of sources, I disagree about trying to avoid opinions. Well-constructed opinions, with integrity, of varying viewpoints are well worth reading, listening to, and watching. Two of the most worthwhile pages to read in the New York Times are the Op/Ed page and the Obituary page.

Anyone know details about North Search and Rescue?

Is this a new SAR organization operating within the Park? They have non-profit status.

Looks like it was founded in 2022 and the website has info on operations and joining the group.
Maybe they rigged the emergency to get there name out there with some of the more established SAR groups?

(Yes I'm just kidding)

I disagree about trying to avoid opinions. Well-constructed opinions, with integrity, of varying viewpoints are well worth reading, listening to, and watching.
I don't generally agree with your positions on a variety of political views and social issues but I wholeheartedly agree with this. If we stop talking to each other - no matter how much we might disagree - then we just cement our own biases in our minds and never grow as a society, come to common ground and move forward. We just sit on our respective side of the "fence" and complain about the other side. Way too much of this going on in the world right now.

Unfortunately political discussion on this board reached a level long ago that goes beyond the realm of hiking. It has now become more the norm and is facilitated by the moderation which holds discussion at the levels that approach double standards if not a self serving agenda.