BSP - Traverse 2.17-22.05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
The Crew: Spencer, GO, ChrisB, Turnbill, SherpaKroto, Shizzmac, El-bagr, Mrs. El-bagr.

It’s a 106 miles to Chicago. We’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark, and we’re wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.

Or…

It’s 45 miles to Abol Bridge. We’ve got 5 days of food, 5 liters of Mountain Chablis, 17 Labatt Bleu oil cans, 3 liters of booze, it’s sunny, and we’re pulling sleds.
Do it.

Over the course of six months and over a hundred emails we put together a ski trip that would begin with acquaintances and turn out old friends, while covering some of Maine’s most special country. Here is my yarn as I remember our trip:

Thursday, February 17

The trip really began when Shizzmac met me at my house at 9:30 am Thursday. After his long drive on no sleep he promptly cracked a beer and laid down on the couch while I went back to work for a few hours. Shortly after I came home around 12:30 pm Sherpa and Chris showed up. Four grown men changed in my living room before we hit the road…

The four of us met Turnbill, El-bagr and Mrs. El-bagr and GO at Pangburn’s in Millinocket. Four of us took our vehicles out to Abol Bridge and left them there, returning in GO’s truck to meet the others who were hanging out at McDonald’s watching our sleds. I had arranged with Joe from Matagamon Wilderness Camps to pick us up in Millinocket at 6 pm and take us to his camp where we would spend our first night in preparation for our journey. Joe and his son, Alan picked us up right on time and we packed the truck with our pulks. McDonald’s famous “caution: hot” water failed to thaw Joe’s tailgate and help it to shut but some well-placed rope held the whole package together. As we made the 2 hour trip to Matagamon, Alan might not quite have become accustomed to our shenanigans… We saw our one and only moose on the way to Matagamon. When we arrived, Joe’s wife Sue was waiting, ready to cook some din din for the hungry souls while Joe helped the others unload the gear at our cabin across the East Branch. Alan headed out at 8:30 or so to begin his snowmobile trail grooming duties for the night, not expecting to return until 2 am. We settled into the immaculate cabin they had pre-heated for us and passed the time with some load-lightening beers. Our first night together was uneventful, while everyone got comfortable with each other.

Friday, February 18

Turnbill and I awoke first to get some water going on the gas stove (the cabin was equipped with gas lights, stove, and 2 - 5 gallons water tanks they had filled for us) and get our things together before the early morning commotion began. Once others got things together, we made our way across the bridge to the main building where Joe and Sue were ready to make us numerous breakfast sammies… I ordered 2 for breakfast and “one for the road.” The Christianson Family couldn’t have been better hosts, offering interesting stories on the ride up, good food when we needed it, perfect accommodations and the friendly, simple attitude of dairy farmers turned camp guides. During the planning phase of our trip, Joe and Sue were very helpful and accommodating to our needs. I would highly recommend them for anyone looking for lodging in the Matagamon area. Give them a call if you are in the area (207.446.4635).

We hit the trail just after 8 am and skied right from our cabin through the woods on one of Matagamon’s trails and were soon on the unplowed road that led a couple of miles to the park gate. The Tote Rd. was well packed from snowmobile traffic and the group that was on the same trip but a day ahead of us. Nevertheless, conditions were quite good with plenty of snow although some of the Tote Rd. was a bit icy. With only a few short breaks for pictures and camaraderie, we made it to the BSP Matagamon entrance where we took a break to snack, let others catch up and adjust wax (Turnbill, El-bagr and I all used waxable skis for this trip). We met up with a ranger carrying three propane cylinders on a sled. He was on his way back out from Russell Pond via South Branch. Although none of us had met him before, he was very friendly and knew exactly who we were. He told us about the conditions ahead and that we were in for a good stretch of weather. We wouldn’t see him, or any other ranger, again until our last morning at Roaring Brook. For most of the trip, people would ski at their own pace and every now and again the skiers in front would stop at a milestone and we’d all reconvene. There were periodic complaints of the “F_ _ _ Y _ _ stops”, but I think it all worked out okay. This first skiing day gave us crystal clear skies and temperatures in the teens all day.

After about 10 miles we came to the junction of the Tote Rd. and the South Branch Campground Rd. Once we were all together, we turned left and plodded uphill for a tiring mile. As Turnbill was a 6 time veteran of the BSP traverse, he was frequently able to give us his recollection of certain stretches of the trip. Sometimes he was thanked for the correct information and sometimes he was chastised for having overly optimistic recollections  His claim of a fast run down to South Branch Pond was one of the latter times… (of course, several of us had been on that stretch before too and we never spoke up). The hill was embarrassingly slow in the mostly fresh powder and some claimed they had to kick their way down to the campground. Turnbill and I got to South Branch campground just before the first of several consecutive snow squalls came through. The views from the campground oscillated between clear through to Pogy Notch and whiteout conditions. Later that night the skies cleared again. We got the fire going quickly and claimed our bunks. As others arrived, we snapped some pictures from the shore of Lower South Branch Pond. Although we never saw the group ahead of us, they left clean, still somewhat warm cabins behind for us to enjoy.

The South Branch bunkhouse was a good size for our group of 8 and the stove gave off plenty of heat and much more than we wanted at times. Each person cooked his or her own meal this first night and things were low key at first. As we had a “rest day” the next day, plenty of drinking ensued. Needless to say, fun was had… We played cards and backgammon and told stories of trips past. Save for one rule discrepancy in backgammon and some mild beer hazing of the trip leader the night was a fine time…

Last edited:
Saturday, February 19

The original reason for staying two nights at South Branch was to make an attempt at climbing the Traveler via the newly opened circuit that connects the Peak of the Ridges with N. Traveler, while climbing over the summit of the Traveler. Some of us were planning to hike it, but during the conversation on Friday night with more of Turnbill’s “recollections”, we decided we’d do a lesser hike over South Branch and Black Cat Mtns. This time Turnbill promised open glades to ski down if we did the loop counterclockwise. It was not a “lesser” hike…

After a fine breakfast including oatmeal, scrambled eggs and Turnbill’s special ployes (buckwheat pancakes cooked right on the stovetop) we set off for South Branch Mtn around 9 am. The trail was unbroken and made for great skiing up. The first half was pretty easy, but when we hit the steep stuff, it was often tedious at best on skis. In fact, the last stretch before getting to the first major outlook (near the summit) on South Branch was damn near impossible on skis. My wide skins could barely make it, but with a bit of struggling and a lot of stubbornness I made it up without taking the skis off. The more patient El-bagr made the trip with a great wax job, no skins and a lot of traverses and kick turns. Mrs. El-bagr was equipped with snowshoes and the rest of the group wore skins. The trip up to South Branch got progressively steeper and more difficult, but we eventually made it with a lot of “phews.” Along the way we were treated to stellar views of Upper and Lower South Branch Ponds, the Travelers, Pogy Notch, N. Turner and several other peaks. At one spot we even caught a glimpse of the Knife Edge and Baxter Peak, barely visible above the Howe peaks. At the South Branch Mtn. summit we discussed turning around, as the trip up the steep upper section had taken us much longer than expected. The ceiling was lowering and it looked like we were due for some deteriorating weather. Given that we were headed for easier skiing terrain and continuing would get us down low (i.e. to Upper South Branch Pond) in only about 2 miles, we headed on for Black Cat Mtn. We had to descend to a moderate saddle and then ascend only a couple hundred feet to get to the Black Cat summit. From there we had incredible views to the east, south and west as the weather turned promising again. From this distant viewpoint, the Katahdin massif looked smaller in stature than we were all used to seeing.

The trail descends off the Black Cat summit over mostly open slabs on the southern side. There were a few cairns in the windblown terrain, but we managed to get off trail a few times. As people were deciding whether to leave skis on or not for this section, a couple of people cut a few turns while scoping the trail out. Once we got firmly back on the trail in woods below the open section, we regrouped and prepared for the “open glades.” They became the “tree-strewn open glades” and we picked our way through, sometimes skiing, sometimes sidestepping, sometimes kick-turning our way down the hills. Every once in while we would find a nice open section and have our way with the awesome powder. For tight trail skiing, the conditions couldn’t have been better. It was challenging at worst and excellent at best… Eventually we reached the more moderate lower slope as we traversed northeast back toward Upper South Branch Pond. The great skiing continued right to the lean-to at the edge of the pond and we prepared for the ski back across both ponds. The technically toughest skiing of the trip was complete and the only casualty was Sean’s loose binding, which we field-tightened to get us back to the bunkhouse at Lower South Branch Pond. A magnificent ski across the windy ponds was welcome, gentle skiing after a long “rest day.”

Back at the bunkhouse the shenanigans resumed as we prepared our one group meal of the trip. Pasta, pesto, meatballs, salad, and garlic bread made our bellies full while the wine flowed like El-bagr’s turns. Shizzy’s binding was repaired and he didn’t even touch the cookie.

Sunday, February 20

We awoke to another crystal clear day and prepared for our 9.6 mile ski to Russell Pond. We aimed to leave around 9 am and were right about on time. We did the usual packing and cleaning of the bunkhouse and set off across the South Branch Ponds one last time. The bitter cold and wind forced us to bundle up with balaclavas and goggles in some cases. The spectacular views of Pogy Notch were inspiring and teasers of things yet to come…

The BSP rangers pack the winter ski trail between the South Branch Ponds and Russell Pond so we had perhaps the most enjoyable kick and gliding of the trip along this stretch. The conditions were terrific and the trail meandered through beautiful old and new stands of spruce with intermittent cedar seeps and patches of lowland white pine. The snow-laden trees and narrow corridor gave a truly special feel to this stretch of skiing. Frequent bogs and ponds gave us natural rest breaks and clear views back up at the subsidiary peaks and ridges of South Traveler, particularly the open rock-crested summit of the 2310 ft. peak (surely a fun peak to go back and climb next winter). A difficult ~ mile of uphill trail eventually gave way to a short and quick downhill run that ended by sweeping around a turn and running over a shallow bed of gravel; a most unpleasant piece to be the first skier over. Shortly thereafter we came into the northern end of the Russell Pond campground where the ranger’s quarters overlook the most magnificent view of the Katahdin massif and N. and S. Turner peaks. We skied by the spring running out of the pipe, across the pond and back in the woods a bit to the Russell Pond bunkhouse. Once again, Turnbill and I got the fire going (ask him about how he cheated :) ) and spread our business out in the tight cabin. Per order by trip protocol there was a snoring room (Turnbill and I took bunks in it) and a “I don’t admit to snoring” bunkroom. The bunkhouse here is quite tight for a group of 8, so we managed to keep cozy but cheery throughout the evening. Only the intrusion of hanging clothes could cramp our style…

Shortly after arriving at Russell Pond there was talk of having a ski up to Wassataquoik Lake. As I had never been to Russell Pond or Wassataquoik Lake, I was anxious to explore this central part of the park a bit. It was around 3 pm though and we decided it would be too ambitious to head up there with little time to junk around once we got there, so we opted for the shorter trip up the Lookout Ledges Trail. El-bagr, Mrs. El-bagr and I skied up the easy trail to the flat ridge on top where we had to do a bit of twisting and turning to find the trail each time we lost it, but eventually we ended up at a wonderful viewpoint that offered twilight views of the Old City/Grand Falls area, N. and S. Turner Mtns., Russell and Mullen Mtns., and of course the Knife Edge and Katahdin. It was a side-trip that was a lot bang for the buck and a fun ski back down to boot. We skied back out on Russell Pond just as it was getting dark and were pleased to find our comrades well oiled and fed in the all too warm bunkhouse.

The cone monster strikes again:

Let it be said that the cone monster may strike in any locale, overused or otherwise. Beware this single-headed demon of the bowels, for he me feel icy, but with a swift plop of the bottom he may rouse and become too hot for the liking of ignorant folk not “privy” to such a rendezvous…

Alternatively, one may simple use the newly constructed double-holers.
A Haiku for the double-holer:

On the throne we sat
The builder did allow chat
But alone we shat

Last edited:
Monday, February 21

I awoke to head out to the privy and noticed the bright red sky coming up. I headed out onto Russell Pond where the views are unrestricted and saw the most magnificent red sky come up over N. Turner. Unfortunately my photos came out a bit grainy and can’t do the sight justice, but be assured it was a thing not to forget. GO and El-Bagr joined me on the ice as we listened to some ice booms and watched as the red sky dissipated to an overcast sky. We did our usual morning chores and were headed out the door by about 9:30. We had our shortest day (only 7.6 miles) but it would turn out to be the toughest day as we crossed some very rugged terrain, ill-suited for sleds and often even for skis.

Turnbill had warned us and on this day it became very apparent why he carries a pack and long ago ceased to pull a pulk. We chose the Tracy Horse Trail route (aka Wassataquoik Stream Trail) as it doesn’t gain the elevation that the alternative Russell Pond Trail does. The group ahead of us had taken it also and it seemed the wise thing to do. It started off innocent enough and we made our way to the Wassataquoik Stream crossing that we were a bit nervous might not be frozen over. There was an ice bridge about 30 feet wide which proved to be plenty sturdy and once we crossed we had a rest break at the Wassataquoik lean-to while we waited for a couple others. We knew from Turnbill that the worst was ahead of us.

I didn’t notice exactly when it started snowing, but it snowed progressively harder as the day wore on. Partly it offered a concern of losing tracks, but mostly it gave hope that the ski out from Roaring Brook on our final day would be a most enjoyable event with the fresh coating. Most of the day of skiing is a blur of frustration followed by smiles followed by frustration followed by faceplants, so I won’t pretend to have the chronology correct. We were mostly split into two groups from the Wassataquoik lean-to onward. Shizzmac, Sherpa and I took the sweep position so as not to let others fall behind us :D We apparently did a great job because we just refused to let anyone get behind! In fact, we let the others get a good jump on us and we rolled in to Roarring Brook at least 2 hours behind the others. There were times we weren’t sure we’d see the end of the monstrosities, but mostly we concerned ourselves with getting down each pitch to the bottom of a gully, only to clamber our way up its other slope. We’d ski a short distance and do it all over again. And over…and over…and over… There was lots of taking the skis off. There were lots of falls. There was a lot of laughter as Shizzy “The Gizzmeister” Mac, Sherpa “I faceplant and laugh in the face of evil” Kroto and Spencer “I saw that coming, oh sh_t” Meyer made their way through the enchanted forest. The Beast (aka SK’s pulk) began its demise when the eyebolts pulled out of the plastic front end. A wire job held it together (with the addition of duct tape and more wire a day later) for the rest of the trip. After we had passed the Whidden Ponds and were getting close to Roaring Brook, I came upon single log that crossed a ten foot stream crossing. As stubborn as I am, I figured I could cross it with some care. I made my way gently across and made it as my skis were on solid ground on the other side. As my pulk slid across the last few feet of the log, it tipped over the edge and pulled me back. I held my ground with the pulk dangling, but the damage was done. The one major flaw of a rigid-trace sled design is that the traces can’t criss-cross if they aren’t designed to. So, when the sled fell down the gully, it rolled over and my traces crossed. A swift bend in the trace was all it took for a major failure. The Penob Bob that I have been so proud of failed me! After all the terrain we had been through that day with the Penob Bob performing flawlessly (not to mention all the other trips it has endured) I was disappointed to say the least, but luckily I was prepared for such a catastrophe. Five minutes of handiwork with the awl and we were back on the road with a solid repair… I cannot tell a lie: my ego was crushed. The Penob Bob has since recovered.

We made it to Roaring Brook with only one more mishap (an innocent fall coming down the last steep pitch just shy of the bridge over Roaring Brook – Shizzy, get the hell out of Sherpa’s way ;) ). I have to assume that the rest of the team was happy to see us as we were grossly overdue. We watered and fed ourselves and traded stories of our toughest day. Not once did Sherpa or Shizzy lose their smiles. The attitude of those guys is impeccable in the face of anguish.

While we had a very eventful day, our evening proved to be just as interesting. We had the fire roaring and we were well fed (and oiled, as usual) when someone noticed a headlamp approaching the bunkhouse. Not expecting anyone, we took interest and a minute or so later Gabriel and Veronique (other some other name) came panting in. They were Quebecois ice climbers on holiday from university. They said that they had two others with them who were quite a distance behind and should get there eventually. They admitted they were a bit over their heads with the ski to Roaring Brook (they were thinking 12 kilometers and not 12 miles and weren’t skiers to begin with). Gabriel had just joined the trip a day or two before when the original 4th member of the team had gotten sick and canceled. He made his sled in the parking lot before the skiing began. They were very nice, although probably not well prepared for the trip. They had reservations for a lean-to but looked like they would benefit greatly from staying in the bunkhouse with us. We were 8 and the capacity, although cramped, is 12, so our team agreed to offer the extra bunks to them. They were greatly appreciative and quite relieved I think.

Quite some time later, Gabriel went rushing outside and we heard some shouting back and forth. Gabriel came back in and told us that the 3rd member was near but that he 4th was still further back. Team member 3 said something about team member 4 “wanting to lay down” a ways back. We felt a sense of urgency, not really knowing what was going on, and mobilized to help out if needed. We pulled our gear back on and filled packs with hot water and food and made our way out to put our skis on. GO, El-bagr and I began skiing toward the far end of Roaring Brook parking lot and shortly came across the chipper Shizzy in his Mickey Mouse garb (puffy booties, jacket, etc. trust me) escorting team members 3 and 4 towards the bunkhouse. Team member 4 seemed to be pretty spent and dehydrated when he made it to the bunkhouse.

With everyone okay, or at least in reasonable shape in the warm bunkhouse, Turnbill, El-bagr, GO and I skied out to Sandy Stream Pond for some late night reconnaissance. We had a splendid ski around and across the pond, enjoying the silhouette of S. Turner in the cloudy, inky sky. Turnbill set up some great pictures with the tough light and eventually we made our way back to Roaring Brook. Since it had been snowing for most of the day, we were enjoying at least a few inches of fresh snow and El-bagr and I couldn’t resist trying some turns in the gentle slopes around Roaring Brook. After screwing around for a while in the snow, we headed back to the somewhat chaotic cabin where loads and loads of gear were now strewn all about. Ice tools lay unprotected on the floor and ropes and packs lined the rest of the room. I was kind of disappointed the newcomers weren’t a bit tidier but I realized they still needed the hospitality.

Last edited:
Tuesday, February 22

With 12 miles to ski out before we got back to our vehicles we wanted to get a reasonable start. We also had to encourage the Quebecois team to mosey on so we could leave the bunkhouse (reserved under my name) in good shape for the next folks. They weren’t too pleased that we woke them up at 8 am, but it had to be done. Some bitter words might even have been indirectly targeted at me for “making them leave.” One of their group members headed up to Chimney Pond while the others moved to a lean-to to cook some breakfast. The rest of us were well packed up and ready to go at 9:30. Roaring Brook was a real thoroughfare on this morning as a team of 4 ice climbers came down from Chimney Pond to head out. Shortly thereafter, a Search and Rescue team from Waterville came down while Stuart and another BSP ranger met them at Roaring Brook. The SAR team got a ride out on the SAR Transport Mobile. There were about 6 inches of fresh snow that we were counting on for an awesome ski out. Even better was that the rangers’ sleds packed it quite well for us. Just as we were about to leave Roaring Brook Olivia spotted a pine marten taunting us by darting in and out of the brush. We all tried to get some good pictures while another pine marten was seen around the bunkhouse. It must have been amusing to watch us scurry back and forth trying for pictures of the cute little marten.

Anyhow, we set off for the last 12 miles of our journey. The conditions were as promised and we all had a fast ski. Windey Pitch was a bit slower than other times but was fun nevertheless. As I went barreling down Windey Pitch I overtook the 1st ice climber group which had headed out ahead of use. With such good conditions and happy to be on the easy terrain, I stretched it out a bit and made it to Togue Pond 2 minutes shy of 2 hours. Shortly thereafter, Turnbill and GO got there and we fired up a stove for some warm soup and snacks were passed all around while we waited for the others to roll in. I had a feeling of bittersweet as our trip was nearing its end. We played around a bit at Togue Pond and as Sherpa arrived, I couldn’t resist dive-bombing him on my sled. It was the one time on this trip a sled was used for its intended purpose. Un-phased, Sherpa stood his ground, forcing me to drag a foot and veer off to the side to miss him. El-bagr then showed us his surfing skills on his sled but quickly learned you can’t carve a sled the same way as you can with a board.

After a good long break, we all headed out via the State Rd. to take the snowmobile route back to Abol Bridge. It was about a mile longer than taking the Tote Rd. via Abol Pond but had much better conditions as the snowsleds had packed it down for us. The stretch on the Tote Rd. can be very tedious and GO suggested this fine alternate route. The Beast (remember Sherpa’s sled?) had a bigger failure, but some duct tape and more wire proved to be the ticket for the rest of the 4-5 miles out. Once we turned right off the State Rd. and onto the snowmobile trail (the old State Rd. route and still as wide as a road) we climbed almost 400 feet to the shoulder of a ridge. The climb was most unwelcome, but the downhill run back to our vehicles was a very fun way to end the trip.

We had made it about 55 miles (including our rest day) over the 5 days. We skied everything from snowmobile groomed trails to steep tree skiing to house-sized gullies along the way. We ate everything from pink and white peanut M & Ms (thank you Joanna) to ployes to borderline rancid ham and cheese sandwiches. I saw the central part of the park I had hitherto been to. I went out with 7 acquaintances and came home with 7 good friends.

…and I used the word “hitherto” in my trip report!

So, I’d like to thank the whole crew for an unforgettable trip:

Garret for co-leading, helping to make this trip happen, and carrying the Mountain Chablis;
Chris for his co-leading and impeccably timed one-liners;
Bill for being our veteran and for playing leapfrog with me most of the trip while sharing great conversation;
Paul for bringing his humor and excitement for all things left to be explored;
Sean for bringing his uncommon spirit to this trip (and please get a pair of Capilene underwear :eek: );
Todd for his turning prowess and hardy adventurous soul; and last but not least,
Olivia for her incredible good nature and smile and her tolerance of 7 crass guys.

Spencer, over and out.

My Pictures
Turnbill’s pictures
Sherpa’s pictures

Last edited:
Reading about it was great. Doing it, sublime.

This was a trip to remember. One of the hardest I've done, but that only added to the satisfaction of doing it. If you haven't seen Turnbill's pictures, go back and look at them - you are missing some incredible shots. And mark your calendar to do it next year.

To all of you - thanks for having me along on this wonderful ride!

BTW Spencer - nice avatar ;)

The pictures were just beautiful & the report entertaining. I sure am jealous of everyone heading into Baxter this winter... I hope one day I will be strong & capable enough to try something like this... but until then it's great reading about it! :)

- Ivy

How could you not have fun with a group like that !

There are lots of interesting trips and reports posted on VFTT...This was one of the best-written and most enjoyable trip reports I've ever read. It made this reader feel like part of the group, and the pix complimented the trip very nicely.

PB

And some people claim I write alot! What a great trip and a nice job on coverage of it all. I haven't been on a Baxter winter trip in a couple of years now, but look forward to another one soon. Your story brought back some good memories for me. Glad you had such a great time!

Great trip!

Great trip report Spencer. You said you couldn’t write, but you captured the spirit of the entire trip as well as documenting the “spirits”. This was certainly one of the best Baxter trips I’ve done and that wasn’t just due to the fine weather. The entire team had the right attitude and was able to make the most of occasional trying conditions (BTW – I believe I described them as BOULDER STREWN open glades :eek: ). A group that could ski the Tracy Horse Trail with sleds and laugh about it that evening (when we were nearly out of liquor) is pretty rare.

I was a last minute alternate on this trip and feel very lucky I had the opportunity to spend the better part of a week with all of you. I have a raft of great memories:

ChrisB’s wry and dry sense of humor (and his fine assortment of bandanas)

Shizzmac’s laid back attitude and inquisitive mind (what the hell is a milk bag?)

El bagr’s stubborn refusal to put on climbing skins (and his skill at finding a good climbing line)

Mrs’ El bagr’s new appreciation of what a nice guy her husband is (compared to the rest of us)

GO’s concern for safety (and his help in finishing the smoked salmon)

SherpaKroto’s fine apparel (and his great sambuca, peppermint schnapps and hot cocoa aperitifs)

and finally...

Spencer’s great job as trip leader (and the first Roaring Brook Sumo wrestling champion!)

I’m definitely in for next year’s trip when we take on the Klondike (or the Northwest Basin, or Wassataquoik Lake, or North Turner – whatever…)

Last edited:
What a great adventure! Congratulations everyone :)

There is one error in the documentary evidence though...
What SherpaK actually wrote on the lake was....

vftt-help.jpg

:D

Bob

outstanding trip!

with no agenda but to ski bsp from the north gate to the south gate, i knew i was going to like this trip. it turned out that i loved this trip! everyday was fun. the view from black cat was great. i loved skiing across the frozen south branch ponds and the skiing between south branch and russell was amazing. to be in the heart of the park with no one around for miles except my teammates was very cool indeed. and speaking of very cool, my teammates were too. what a fun group of vftt'ers.

as i sit at my desk at work i find my self thinking about crossing the ponds in the early morning sunshine or skiing on sandy stream pond at night with the snow falling gently. and i wonder, do kone monsters leave any scat signs?

safety first.
go

Last edited:
Yeah - it was just too tempting not to do :D

What a wild adventure, I'm quite envious. Hey, one day perhaps :)

Bob

Great

Yeah, you guys are nuts - and I mean that in the best possible way.

A great trip, both in its concept and its execution.

Why is my 'to do list' getting bigger rather than smaller?

Last edited: