Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime

Reaction score
Howdy! I need help in getting rid of a bubble that has developed in three compasses that I have. These are bubbles that shouldn't be there by the way! I read somewhere (it may have been here but I couldn't find it) that bubbles are caused by something (maybe heat?) and can be fixed by counteracting whatever the cause is. Is anybody familiar with this problem and know of a fix? Thanks!

Saw this online suggestion for compass bubble. I always thought that
compass bubble = death for the compass.
Maybe not so:
"It is not uncommon for a small bubble to appear in the liquid-filled housing when you are using your compass in high elevations or in temperatures below freezing. The bubble forms because the fluid within the housing contracts or expands at a faster rate than the housing, resulting in a "vacuum" bubble. This bubble will not affect the performance of your compass as the liquid's sole purpose is to dampen or slow down the movement of the magnetic needle. Typically, any bubble will disappear when the compass is returned to room temperature and / or lower elevation. If the bubble remains, as appears to be the case with your compass, it is possible to correct the situation by placing the compass in a warm (not hot) spot, such as a sunny window sill. Do keep an eye on the bubble if it refuses to depart. Should the bubble grow in size, you might have a small, almost imperceptible leak in the liquid-filled compass housing and that means you will need a new compass."

Thanks Peakbagr! That is exactly the article I was looking for. I remembered the instructions on what to do backwards so I'm glad I didn't try it! I'll try the warm window sill approach and see if that does the trick. I appreciate it!

Jim

I had a bubble for many many years. I know what caused it too. I left it for a few hours on the dashboard in the hot sun. The bubble stayed.

It finally disappeared one time, when I fell, landed on the compass, and cracked it. Bottom line: The compass worked fine with the bubble, but did not work once the bubble was gone.

It is absolutely not an issue. I have seen this in everything from the military compass I have to high end orienteering and hiking compasses. If it hasn't already been said. You may even see the bubble grow and shrink, small amounts, with changes in air pressure and temperature. Nothing to worry about. The fluid that is used is just to dampen the movement of the needle. Nothing else.

Keith

30+ years ago I had a bubble in a Boy Scout compass that I owned. I recall drilling a small hole, adding water, and sealing it back up with some epoxy putty. A short time later the bubble was back, and eventually after sitting in a drawer for a few years it dried up completely.