Bugs.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
So how are the bugs in the Whites right now? We were planning a backpacking trip for this weekend, but I'm not sure I want to go if the beasties are still having their way with us. The weather looks pretty good (not too humid) but we were thinking the Zealand Pond area for a basecamp on Saturday and Sunday...think we'll get eaten alive? There are a few used spots down trail from the pond, so the mosquito's probably won't be too awful...

Thanks everyone!

Cheers...
-ct

Good luck :rolleyes: We're only in southern NH and mosquitoes are about the same as always this time of year, out and biting. Now the horse flies those would be the ones I'd be worried about.....they'll pick you up and carry you off.....

This past weekend there was a bit of swarming, but very few bites (if at all really.) We were out on the Squam Range, so location has a lot to do with it. For example, I don't care what time of the summer it is, Signal Ridge trail is a good place to go for blood donations :D .

Brian

Just in the Sawyer pond area and I might have seen it worse but I don't remember when. Tons of mosquitoes and black flies and they were biting. I put on some deet and they only turned into a nuisance. Be prepared to give blood in that area. ;)

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Just in the Sawyer pond area and I might have seen it worse but I don't remember when.
Keith

I agree. I was in Sandwich Notch yesterday and the black flies were as bad as I've ever seen them.

Bugs Not Bad at end of May and Thru June

I hiked three times since memorial. 10 miles at Chocorua, 10 miles from Huntington Ravine to Boott Spur, and a RT 18 mile into West Bond from Zealand.

The last Hike was June 30. The bugs were not seasonably bad for any of these hikes. I don't think I was bit by anything.

The black flies should die fast now, even if they do show up. They cannot take the heat. Mosquitos mainly come out at night and I have not been out at night, so that may explain why I haven't seen much of them.

Bring the Deet!

el

truepatriot09 said:
Well, you guys just clinched my decision to day hike and either get a hotel or crash in the car. Also made me realize one of the perks of moving to Colorado.

Thanks for the insight folks!
Don't crash in the car unless, you have screens for your windows. :)

In SW NH, this has been an almost bugless year so far. Hiked the last 2 weekends with no need for deet. Was in Wells, ME last week and we usually are swarmed this time of year but nothing buzzing this year. Very pleasant!!