Building a tarp snow shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
Instead of taking along my 4 lb tent, I was thinking of saving weight by using my 16' X 20' silcoat nylon sheet (half pound). Anybody ever use something like this in building a snow shelter? Just wondering what are the recommended methods. Is this a bad idea? Thanks.

Dig a trench, put your sleeping bag inside it (especially if you have a lightweight bivy), and cover with the tarp if you like. You can also cut snow blocks to make a roof and/or windblock.

Obviously this depends on suitable snow and conditions.

There's a nice trip report, with links to pictures of just such a snow trench in Washington state last week, at The Lightweight Backpacker Forums, under "Trip Report - Snow Lakes."

- Steve

Last edited:
But doesn't that put your body at the very bottom of the shelter where the temp is the coldest?

What about finding a sloped area and dig a trench upwardly so cold air flows down and out while warm air stays near the top and back?

It sounds OK to me, but ya know sometimes what you think will work and what actually will are two different things. I'd hate to be out in some bitter cold temps and find that my idea was not so "hot" (no pun intended).

I wonder too how much temp difference there would be between a tent out in the open and a trench dug as you suggested. It maybe that the trench is still the warmer deal.

My best guestimate for this one would be to build an snow shelter like structure without the roof (which is the hardest part). So it would only consist of walls with a small opening in front down lower than the sleeping area, a smal area next to the raised "bed" area. The tarp would just act as a roof. There wouldn't be need for vents because the fabric would probably breathe enough. The great part of this idea is when it's light out you can take off the tarp (or roof) and cook, eat, lounge back and read with the warm of the sun. Then when darkness falls put the tarp back over the top and put snow on the sides to wiegh it down and you've got a snow shelter with out the work of making the big pile of snow because you only have to make the walls and a raised bed and a lower exit/entrance.

I've done what nazdarovye suggests, though I used a space blanket (metallic side up) as the floor/wall liner. Make a human burrito. One issue is that if a lot of snow falls in the night, the tarp will bow in over your trench; I've used skis and poles as rafters running across the trench, which only reduces this issue. I find silnylon doesn't breathe much; although I've never used it for this purpose, I'd make sure I wasn't going to be exhaling onto the silnylon all night (because water vapor would condense out and run down the center-fold, dripping onto you).

I've spent more nights under a tarp in the winter than in a tent. The shelter can be as simple or as complex/fancy as you like.

The simple shelter: Stomp out an area between two trees (if that is what you'll be tying your tarp to) with your snowshoes which is as big as you want for sleeping/living, and will fit under your pitched tarp. tie the tarp up between the trees, and dead-man the corners and sides to create an A-frame over your stomped out area.

If I'm expecting good weather, I'll pitch the tarp well above the sleeping surface so I have more headroom. If colder, I'll get fancier..

To get fancy: If the snow is deep enough, you can dig down a bit and construct side walls and end walls to keep out weather and keep in body heat. If the snow isn't very deep, you can construct walls from snow dug from outside the shelter. You can dig out shelves and benches and other "amenities" if you like. You can include a groundcloth inside the shelter if you like. You can also sculpt a sleeping platform as someone described above. If you get heavy snow, you'll need to be clearing the tarp off every so often to keep it from sagging/collapsing.

One tip, after you stomp out the snow, let it set-up (consolidate) for a bit before you start digging or pitching your tarp. How long you let it set depends on how packable the snow is to start.
-vegematic

snow shelters

Brent and others--

This is what works for me and many others for solo one-night stays, assuming at least a foot of snow. If you have deep snow (3 ft) just dig your trench as narrow as you will fit in at the top, comfortably wide at the bottom and 4 to 6 ft long, tramping down snow in the bottom and tunneling the additional length needed for your feet and lower legs when you lie down. If your snow is less deep, just heap it up in a rectangular box configuration 4 ft high, 3 to 4 ft wide, 9 ft long and excavate the sleeping cavity after the snow has set. Roof the trench using skis, pole, branches, whatnot for supports and a ground sheet for roof. Silnylon does not work very well for the roof-- too slick and saggy. The reinforced bright colored "space blankets" (about 52"x 84") work better. Now pile snow on your roof to insulate it.
A trench of this sort assuming good snow and a shovel takes one hour to construct and is fairly dry work, longer if you have to heap up the snow. The inside temperature with you in it should be no lower than 20 d F.

Walt