Burnt Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
I am looking for information on the trail going up Burnt mountain(you know the one next to Sugarloaf in Maine). About how long is it and is it suitable for children? MEB and I are thinking about taking our neices (ages 12, 10 and 8) for a sunset hike. Thanks for any information :D

Reactions: MEB
That's a very suitable hike for kids that age. Fairly easy and some nice views. I usually start at my condo, but you can park at Burnt Mt. Road, which is off of Mountainside Drive. Call Sugarloaf (207-237-2000) and ask for the Sugarloafer Shop....they have info on most of the summer activities up there, since there's no real trail map for it that I've ever seen. For food you may want to check out the golf course, the Rack, Gepettos, or D'Ellies, but their hours can be "seasonal" (this is offseason), so inquire when you call. There's also spots along the Carrabassett River for a post hike swim if you feel so inclined.

Last edited:
You can get to the trail if you park over by Burnt Mt road in the condos. The road is the last left you can take before you get to the ski area parking lots. Go on that road and keep going straight for 2/3 of a mile or so. You start climbing the hill and you will see the various condo roads on the left. Look for Burnt Mt Road, and park on one of those streets. The x-c ski trail is at the end of one of those roads. Follow it up the hill for a few hundred feet and take the left when the ski trail goes left. You may cross a little bridge? Anyhoo, on the right after a hundred feet or so is the start of the trail. There are some signs. It is a fun hike.

You may also want to try Bald Mt in Rangeley. A little more tame and easier. Great views of the lakes. There is also a good ice cream stand in town. Yummm.

Ohh, and you can go to Huston brook falls and jump in the water there too! Nice and cool on a hot day. MEB should know where that is.

Last edited:
Oh yes....Houston Brook Falls is in the plans as well! I can't wait! Maybe this year I'll find my spine and shed my wings and jump off the cliffs :D Anyway, it's hard to believe that after spending so many years up that way that I've never been up Burnt Mountain.

-MEB

Hi- I was the first person on the thread last year. By all means do stop at the shop in the Sugarloaf condo area (I forget, it was a clothing shop of some sort) and pick up a map and ask them for directions to the trailhead. Typical me, I drove around for 30-40 minutes before stooping (and stopping) to ask directions, and even with good help it was a bit tricky to find (there is no sign or parking lot-just park at the end of the condo road and don't block anybody in).

It was fine for our kids, though a little long (5 miles RT) and we were turned around by a thunderstorm and general humidity after a mile or so. Bald mt (Oquossoc) was GREAT and shorter (2 mi RT) and had zillions of wild blueberries and a great view from the tower.

I think GO has more specific directions- he sent me a helpful PM last year. Have fun!
-Weatherman

Sugarloaf has on online map that shows Burnt Mountain Trail

http://www.sugarloaf.com/oc_map.html
http://www.sugarloaf.com/pdf/soc.pdf

you could park on Bigelow Mountain Road, one street past Burnt Mountain Road, in the visitors area

from the end of Bigelow Mountain Road, bear right toward Burnt Mountain, then turn left onto a XC ski trail ... you'll see Burnt Mountain Trailhead down on the right

hope this helps ... have fun !

Sugarloaf has on online map that shows Burnt Mountain Trail

http://www.sugarloaf.com/oc_map.html
http://www.sugarloaf.com/pdf/soc.pdf

you could park on Bigelow Mountain Road, one street past Burnt Mountain Road, in the visitors area

from the end of Bigelow Mountain Road, bear right toward Burnt Mountain, then turn left onto a XC ski trail ... you'll see Burnt Mountain Trailhead down on the right

hope this helps ... have fun !

We were there last weekend in a house a group of us rented for a long weekend. Don't turn down Burnt Mountain Road, but do go one street up to Bigelow Mountain Road. However, there is no parking here. We were able to walk from our rental. At the end of Bigelow Mountain Road you pick up a multi use roadway. After crossing the bridge, the trail is listed on the right, heading up gently. At a downed tree, we got off the trail, but if you keep to the right you will pick it up again. We went left and picked up a ski area road/trail. The resort is opening up a lot of back country skiing here, right up to the col of Burnt Mountain. We walked the "road" and picked up the trail again just before a big stream. It was nice to get into the woods again, though they soon opened up into glades. The trail slabbed, then turned leftwards and steepened, along the edge of glades. Ropes marked the trail as we approached the col. We bundled up at the col and then hit the boulder strewn summit trail which is marked by cairns and iron rod wands. We had two maps: one from the ski area and the other is a trail map for hiking in the region. They did not agree with each other, which makes me wonder if there is yet another trail to the summit that heads up a ridgeline on the left. We were very cold and didn't explore the bald dome. It was a great hike. Just what we were looking for. About 6.5 miles RT from our rental.