Bushwack from Hale to North Twin Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Sale

Reaction score
Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
I will be doing the Bonds traverse this weekend and staying at Zealand on Friday night. Since I have Friday off I figured I'd bag a few more mountains, so I was trying to figure the best way to get them in. Looking at the map, I noticed Hale summit is only about a mile from the North Twin Trail, is this a possible bushwack to save time? My thought was to hit Hale, then bushwack over, and hit North and South Twin, then Galehead, then on to Zealand hut by the Twinway. I've never hiked any of those mountains before, so I'm not sure of what they actually look like on the ground. I'm looking to start the hike around 7AM, maybe a little earlier if I can get moving. Any thoughts?

Actually, there's an unofficial trail leading from the summit of Mt. Hale to the lower part of the North Twin Trail. (It meets the NTT near the first crossing of Little River.) Do a search of the firewarden's trail on this site; you should come up with some useful information. It is a beautiful trail, especially in winter, as it winds through some lovely birch glades. People ski it pretty regularly when there's enough snow.

However... If you descend the firewarden's trail, you will lose A LOT of elevation, so it likely won't save you any time.

Firewardens takes you back essentially to the start of the North Twin trail, so as Stinkyfeet said, it's not going to save you time.

We saw fresh snowshoe tracks leaving Hale's summit for the firewarden's trail 2 weeks ago (december 28th). They must be snow covered by now, but still somewhat followable from time to time.

Going in from the 7 dwarfs motel road up the Fire Wardens trail over to Zealand and around to the Twins is a nice long loop as a dayhike and it avoids the Zealand Road walk. One could envision an overnight at Zealand hut doing this same route either cw or ccw and adding the Bonds. It woud be harder but possible in good conditions. IMO, the firewarden's trail is easier to fine from the top assuming you know where to look at both ends.

Mt. Hale Firewarden Trail Directions ....

The start of the Firewardens Trail is at the first crossing of the North Twin Trail (as Stinkyfeet mentions) and Little River (click-on map). It follows along the river banking SSE, crosses the intersecting E-W drainage at stream entry level, and continues along the lower banking for about 0.1 mile. It then takes a short steep climb up the banking, then an angled back contour slabbing climb up into the area identified with the red cross. The trail foot way is easy to follow in most areas (3-season). It climbs up with a series of long switchbacks through a delightful hardwood forest to reach the ridge line about 1/2 mile directly N of Mt. Hale. It then follows the ridge through open spruce woods and emerges on the open summit after a couple sharp right angle turns.

I know this trail well. It's one of my White Mtn favorites, remains only marginally used and only periodically maintained. Winter approach to the North Twin Trailhead is from the 7 Dwarfs Motel Road as John Swanson mentions. Ask permission to park at the end of the road from the landowner, last house on the right.

Suggestion: I don't recommend this trail in winter unless you have first tried it 3-season (or be with someone who has), and have good map/compass skills.