bushwack to Church Pond, Jan 25th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I wimped out of a plan for snowboarding at Waterville Valley followed by a hike to Lonesome Lake. Too cold and windy for me today.

I noticed an ice bridge over the Swift River near Sabbaday Brook so I decided to explore the area on the other side and stay in the woods to avoid the wind. I found my self near Church Ponds and decided to check it out. So much for avoiding the wind, but it wasn't too bad and the views are beautiful in all directions as you move around the pond.

There's lots of bear sign near the pond.

digging for insects...

089copy1.jpg

the biggest bear nest I've ever seen...

053copy1.jpg

I toured all around Big Church Pond. Here's a view toward Green's Cliff with tamarack shadows.

065copy1.jpg

a view toward Owl Cliff and Mt. Tremont...

107copy1.jpg

Mt. Kancamagus?

087copy1.jpg

Mt. Chocorua

096copy1.jpg

Bear Mtn.

097copy1.jpg

Mt. Hedgehog, Mt. Passaconaway and Mt. Potash

082copy1.jpg

a little brook a sunset...

047copy1.jpg

happy trails :)

edit: ok, it's only the 24th of January. I'm pushing it!

Last edited:
An outstanding “back to the future” journey ;) . . . and a great TR!
Simply love your treks to out of the ordinary destinations!

Nice time to visit Church Pond

Good TR! This is a nice time to visit Church pond. Marshy areas are less of an issue in winter ... particularly in the mosquito department. Plus you can walk all around the pond and benefit from views in all directions.

How did you cross the Swift River? Your narrative mentions finding an ice bridge across Sabbaday Brook which makes no sense for accessing Church Pond. Did you cross at Sabbaday Brook and BW from there or go down to the Passaconaway Campground and take the trail?

Pretty cold to be wading in Swift River. I assume you found ice bridges across the Swift River as well? I haven't tried this, but it occurs to me the Swift River would be frozen pretty solid given the long stretches of deep cold we've been having.

Awesome sunset photo - I particularly enjoy the subtle reflection in the brook!

Church Ponds

I have been here many times in the summer and have great pictures of mountains reflecting off pond. Also have come across moose in the bog area when when hike loop trail clockwise. Not many day hikers as I think the start of the trail involves crossing the river may cause them decide not to go

Snow shoe tracks

Nice pics, I especially like the one of the well defined snowshoe tracks. I often find myself enjoying looking at the crisp track through unbroken snow. I don't know why, it just puts me at peace. My wife says I'm weird. Oh well... Buddy