Bushwhack Mt. Clough and Trails of Fun!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
11/26/11 – Bushwhack Mt Clough and random trail stuff in the Glencliff area….

Looked like a good day to do something different so I headed for Mt Clough, my first time there. I decided I would go from the south end of Tunnel Brook Trail for no particular reason. I was afraid of the road to the trailhead: though it wasn’t gated, it looked icy in the early morning. So, I parked at the Glenclif Trail parking area – my first time parking there and NOT hiking Moosilauke – it felt WEIRD!!!! I headed down the road, took the first right, and then the next right onto Tunnel Brook Trail. No footprints ahead of me!

Tunnel Brook Trail – a fine coating of snow/ice and little evidence of anything other than deer.
DSCN2178-tunnelbrooktrail-shrunk.jpg

Although I brought traction and snowshoes, they all stayed in/on my pack. The snow really didn’t get much deeper than 3-4” all day at all elevations. I was happy to finally travel the lower portion of Tunnel Brook Trail since I had bushwhacked east near the dam and had never completed the actual trail until today. I found a pretty waterfall:
DSCN2179-waterfall-shrunk.jpg

Tunnel Brook looked very skiable even without a lot of snow. I didn’t bother skiing since I would be bushwhacking and didn’t want to hike in my ski boots, especially if I wasn’t certain I’d be using snowshoes. A little further up, I found a colorful boundary marking:
DSCN2182-colorfulboundary-shrunk.jpg

Eventually, I found a good line to get the north/south ridge up to Clough. I know Clough is considered an easy bushwhack because it’s pretty open. I’d give it a “3” rating on the 1-10 bushwhack difficulty rating scale (10 being the worst, like Scar Ridge). There were a few scrappy sections, a few rocky/mossy steeps and occasional boot-sucking mud pits. But, it was pretty pleasant. I also followed the wisdom of the wildlife— along with moose tracks, the bear tracks seemed to show the best corridors:
DSCN2187-bearprints-shrunk.jpg

As I was hiking, I thought about how much I’d like to thank people who’ve taught me most of what I know about bushwhacking: mostly Forestgnome & Hiker Ed…. I only used a map (no compass or GPS tho I carried them) and just followed the terrain. This is a great bushwhack for exploring and working on confidence-building. Plus, there’s the beautiful shoulder of Moosilauke to guide you…. AWESOME!!!!

After the summit, which was pretty obvious, I just followed my tracks down – half the time of the ascent. On the lower knolls, here are some the typical views. Looking back up north to Clough:
DSCN2190-mtclough-shrunk.jpg

Looking back south:
DSCN2191-birch-shrunk.jpg

Once back at Tunnel Brook Trail, travel was a little slippery in the melting snow. Finally I saw someone as I got close to the dam area, and then came across a large group having a wiener roast… strange since one had a “PETA” shirt on – maybe the wieners were vegan? Looked like fun!!!!

Back on the road, I took a right to scope out the south end of the Blueberry Mtn Trail – still closed for logging. But, I also noticed a rather ominous-looking bear dog truck (wish that were a beer truck!!!) parked at that trailhead. I decided without proper hunter orange I probably should get out of there, especially since I felt a little pudgy after eating so much food on Thanksgiving!!!

So I continued to the Town Line Trail and decided to take it. I was a little worried because I remember Ed mentioning a water crossing that would be difficult…. Ugh… I didn’t read the trail guide so I wasn’t sure if it was at the north or south end….

Town Line Trail is VERY pleasant. The Jeffers Brook Shelter is fairly standard except for the bird/insect house on the gable end:
DSCN2195-edgeofjeffersshelt-shrunk.jpg

After that, there are a few tree-filled views of Webster Slide Mtn and a long descent to the Oliverian Notch. Eventually, I came to the dreaded water crossing at the south end, just before the road:
DSCN2197-rivercrossing-shrunk.jpg

It didn’t look too terrible until I completely soaked both feet. On the way back, I took the logging bridge just down the road… I don’t think it was kosher but I didn’t want to double-dip!!!

All in all, an awesome day out there!!!!

As I was hiking, I thought about how much I’d like to thank people who’ve taught me most of what I know about bushwhacking: mostly Forestgnome & Hiker Ed…. I only used a map (no compass or GPS tho I carried them) and just followed the terrain.

Awww geee :) Awesome TR and nice going! Love the bear track photos :)

Great TR as usual! Awesome finds too. Finding waterfalls are always fun, especially when they are unexpected. The bear prints are great...I've never seen any before! The hornets nest...I would stay away from that thing!!! Thanks for sharing!

Karl