Bushwhacking - the forbidden subject?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albee

Reaction score
Please allow me to bring up the subject of bushwhacking... Recently, a member of this site mentioned to me that too many people are discussing bushwhacking around here, and it should be kept more discreet. Who cares if it is trendy - is this subject becoming taboo?

Other threads have discussed various aspects of this pastime. I am interested in whether there is actually the sentiment here that it is discussed too much and too explicitly.

Some people give detailed trip reports of how to get to a certain peak and back. Others will only provide detailed directions on where to park. In the past, I have included information about which property owner to contact if there are private property concerns. Bagging trail-less peaks is a popular topic with a lot of information passed around. (Some people even have websites with specific directions on how to bag trail-less peaks.)

Personally, I think freedom of speech should apply, as long as it doesn't offend any members of the community or encourage anyone to do anything illegal, like trespassing or cannibalism. At the same time, I have personally decided to post as little as possible about the routes I have taken, in order to encourage route-finding skill in others and to not contribute to the virtual bushwhackers' reference library.

So, what do others think? Too much bushwhacking info? Just right? Not enough? Not applicable? If you don't bushwhack and you're sick of all us weirdos talking about it, this is a perfectly appropriate place to express this opinion. Thanks!

albee said:
I have personally decided to post as little as possible about the routes I have taken, in order to encourage route-finding skill in others
I work and study hard in order to become better. And now you are helping me. Thank you.

albee said:
Recently, a member of this site mentioned to me that too many people are discussing bushwhacking around here, and it should be kept more discreet.

The ''member'' speaking : It is not because I want it to be more discreet, it's because I am getting ANNOYED by all the BW talking, and like I said in my original message, that includes myself.

You seems to have many interrogative points above your head, maybe you should do a quest for answers and do a film about outdoors ethics...

I say post what you want, as long as it doesn't violate any of the forum rules.

First, none of what we talk about here is really that important in the overall scheme of things. If my favorite mountain was clear cut tonight, or if it was permanently closed to human visitation and made into a wild life park tonight, 99.99% of the people in the world wouldn't care, or even know about it.

And even among those who do know or care, what I post doesn't have very much effect on what people actually do. If I post how great a spot is, and how to get there, maybe a few more people will go there. So what? And if I post that a spot is really a terrible place to go, the same number of people will probably go just out of curiosity. And if I don't post, people will happen upon these spots anyway.

TCD

Isn't this sort beating the proverbial dead horse.

Figure out what is right and do it. There's no real definitive answer to the question anyway. You can always get the info you need... if there's no trip report or discussion online, send out a PM to someone who does know the info. There are plenty of people here who have finished the NE 451 and N.E. 770 and they usually seem happy to chat about things.

If you feel good about a particular hike -- be it a trail or a bushwhack and you want to post about it, until Darren says no, I guess it's up to you to decide. Look around and see who is posting trip reports about trails and bushwhacks and who is not and decide which category you want to fit in. And even then it's a gray area because sometimes people who very infrequently post trip reports will put up a whopper and sometimes people that post ad nauseum will sometimes take a week off from posting TR's.

You know what, if I need info on the Catskills 100 I'll ask Jay H. If I need info on the NE 451 I ask DMS. Sure, there are other people that know more, maybe, but I've developed friendships with them and I feel comfortable asking them to help me out with some info. It doesn't need to be all posted. That said, posts about trails and bushwhacks can be helpful... if it's there, I'll read it. But you the individual has to decide what to do and what not to do.

Forget beer, just give me a cup.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I'm not about to start doing any more bushwhacking other than following ADK herd paths & on occasion something like Cowboy Brook or Black Pond in NH but having a place with accurrate information for contacting owners of private property seems to make sense.

Having more information isn't going to make me hike your hike because I want to hike my own but I would like that option without trespassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.