Busy Day on the Moose - 11-Jul-15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
Trail hiked: Gorge Brook, Glencliff, Carriage Rd., Snapper

Trail conditions: Gorge Brook is beautiful! Trail is in excellent condition. Coming down Carriage Road is sort of boring and tough on the knees, but it was way better to ascend on the shady Gorge Brook Tr. than the wide open, sunny Carriage Road.

What an absolutely beautiful weather day to hike the Moose. My son and I thought we had a good jump on the crowds arriving at Moosilauke Ravine Lodge by 8:15, but there were already around 30 cars parked on the road ahead of us. The ascent went quickly and we were on the summit by 10:30. There was already a small crowd at the summit, but plenty of room to spread out. It was pleasantly cool and breezy the summit. We ended up putting on fleece jackets and huddling down behind some of the old foundations to get out of the wind. Still nice enough for an hour-long break.

We popped up to South Peak on the way down and took Carriage Rd. and Snapper for a different way down. By the time we got back to the car at 1:30, there must have been over a hundred cars parked on the road. The late arrivals might have had an extra half mile to walk to their parking space!

Awesome day to be on the mountain! So happy I blew off my chore list back home!