Buy now or wait? (Snowshoes & crampons)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MSR Evo Ascents ($200) and Kahtoola Microspikes ($65). This is the standard kit

The CC Outdoor Store in Waterbury, VT has the Evo Ascents right now for $140. That's about as good a price as I ever see new.

REI has the MSR Denali snowshoes on sale right now for $98

Campmor sometimes sells these (classic Denalis) as low as $85 shipped. They don't have the heel lifts that the Evo Ascents do.

A word about heel lifts -- it seems like the majority of winter hikers really favor them. They've never mattered all that much to me, but I have figured out that the less rigid the boot I'm in, the more they matter. In other words, you're likely to find them more important if you're wearing something like an insulated Garmont hiker than if you're using a plastic double boot.

I had checked out REI (Reading store) a week or two back and they were completely out of stock, with no plans for more stock till next season. LL Bean was sold out as well. Campmor seemed picked over, they had no MSR snowshoes in stock at all. EMS had been out of my purview for years now. My hiking kit has been stable for years so I wasn't up on the latest gear shopping options.

I'd been advised to look for "ascenders" in the snowshoes, so that narrowed it down a bit. I'd also had a recommendation for the Hillsounds as a sort of compromise -- not quite "real" crampons but mostly good enough.

Purchases have been made. Now it's just a matter of waiting for FedEx/Ups to deliver.

Wave that flag, mirabela.

REI has the MSR Denali's on sale for $98. Other than the lack of heal lifts, you can't go wrong with this snowshoe.

Dave

Given how many pairs of snowshoes were sold this winter, I would bet that craigslist will eventually be filled with barely used gear for very little money.

REI has the MSR Denali's on sale for $98. Other than the lack of heal lifts, you can't go wrong with this snowshoe.

Dave

I would strongly encourage you to get a model with the heel lifts. Very nice feature, especially if you're fairly new to snow shoeing and/or not super fit (like myself). They really save some wear and tear on the calf muscles.

FYI also Backcountry.com has the Ascent, The Tubbs Flex Alp and most other snow shoes in stock, although at full price right now.