Cabin on Mt. Abraham (ME)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooker

Reaction score
I friend of mine heard something about there being a cabin, with a woodstove, on Mt. Abraham (the one in Maine). Thinking this might make a good spot for a winter overnight, with some skiing opportunites on the mountain. Can anybody confirm that this cabin exists and is accessible? What are the odds it would be unoccupied on Sunday night?

Thanks for info you have!

Nothing at the top except an old tower. There is some old debris by the tower. Maybe used to be a cabin there. No more.

aal.sized.jpg

Mount Abraham tower

Pb

I suspect they are talking about the old FireWarden's cabin. I do not believe there is a wood stove there. The cabin is of the ramshackle type. It's in a nice spot, but don't think of it as an attractive winter base. I'm not sure about the skiing, but the terrain on the upper reaches sure is nice and open.

A roof over your head

Crooker, I just sent you a PM about the cabin.

Pb, the cabin Crooker is looking for is not on the summit. However, your photo reveals a crude roof (off to the right) which has been set upon a crude stone foundation. We did not dig it out when we were there Jan 2nd, but it did appear rather interesting and quite dungeon-like.

Tramper Al said:
Pb, ... However, your photo reveals a crude roof (off to the right) which has been set upon a crude stone foundation. We did not dig it out when we were there Jan 2nd, but it did appear rather interesting and quite dungeon-like.
Try as I might Al, I don't see that crude roof. Where exactly is it in the photo? I remember some stuff on the ground when I ws there but don't recall where or what. Here's a bigger version of the picture: Big version

As for the cabin, I missed that entirely since I came in from the AT. Looks like a nice cozy spot.

Thanks.
Pb

I would say the 'crude roof' is just outside of the picture to the right. It is basically a stone crawl space with a 'crude roof'. Full of spider webs when I was there. As for the cabin (no where near the summit) 'cozy' isn't a term I'd use to describe it.

I too first traveled to Abraham via the AT spur, but was lucky enough to return this winter via the Firewardens Trail.

And yes, that crude roof is well hidden I guess. In your excellent photo, follow the slack guidewire down on the right side of the tower structure. As the wire gets into the talus, contunue a bit more to the right and you are at the base of what looks like a small pyramid with a light colored stone on top. If I were smarter, I would tell you what distant mountain that is behind it!

Anyway, I seem to recall reading somewhere that this roof is the remnant of some small building or shack that once served some purpose on the summit area.

We found Abraham to be very interesting and wild on a cold winter's day. I highly recommend it.