Cabot & Waumbek (Starr King & BNT to KKR)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score

Did Waumbek at 630am this morning. arrived to about 3-4" of snow and more coming down. SUV made it to the parking lot. Trail was fast, snow was not compactable but once it settles into the ice thats there it will make for good base for the next snow to come.I didnt need snow shoes but carried them. Micros were helpful at times but could have been done without.
I met only 1 couple at 930 upon returning just leaving their car.

I drove to Berlin Fish hatchery after and climbed Bunnell Notch Trail to the KK Ridge. Same conditions as above but by the afternoon there was 5" of the same sleet covered light snow. More slippery here than at Waumbek. Trail was easy to follow. Between south and true summit in the blow down section people might want to pay close attention to not lose the trail but otherwise it was good. I did not use snowshoes but at this point in the day they might have been ok for the flatter sections (1st mile, and above the stairs). Micros were much use, glad to have trekking poles to muster thru with the upper body and support on the fast descent.

Last edited: