Calling Portland, ME hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooker

Reaction score
(6/12 - Goose Eye) - Calling Portland, ME hikers

I've somewhat recently returned to Maine and am living in Portland. My girlfriend and I do a lot of hiking/backpacking and are looking for like minded people who might want to join us or even maybe start a group that can go out regularly. Nothing formal at all. Kind of like a VFTT Portland chapter I guess...

We are in our mid-20's, like to do big miles and get a workout in, in part because it makes the beer taste that much better at the end of the day. Respect the "rules" and are responsible but will never tsk somebody for not having the newest gear or pushing proper etiquette. We have dogs and like to hike with them when appropriate.

If anybody out there in VFTT world is in a similar situation and would like to try to plan something in the near future, send me a PM or just reply here...

(Edited titled to reflect planned hike this Sunday to Goose Eye)

Last edited:
Hey Fellow Maina!

I'm right up the road in Freeport and I usually get out at least once a week to hike, usually with my little sista! We're planning on hiking to East Sleeper this Saturday via Blueberry Ridge-Kate Sleeper Trail as an out and back if your interested in joining us....or anyone else who may be.

-MEB

I too am from Portland. I saw a VFTT sticker on a Sube Forester the other day so i'm sure are others too.

I havn't been out TOO much as of late due to this weather gennerally hike w/ my girlfriend and and dog.

Where do you live in Pland?

MEB - As of now, this Saturday wouldn't work for me but we are planning (weather allowing) to head to the Whites on Sunday. Probably for Adams/Jefferson. In general, my girlfriend's current schedule calls for her to work on Saturdays...this will possibly be changing soon.

Jwind - I live right downtown off of Congress, in between State and High...you in the neighborhood?

If either or you or anybody is interested in joining for Sunday let me know...

Ya, just off Pine st. Couple blocks from State and Congress...

Unfortunetly, I'm booked for this weekend :(

keep me in the loop though. Happy trails.

I work up in Portland and currently live in Saco. I try to go most weekends but sometimes I don't if I can't find anyone to go with because I get tired of making the drive alone. I'd be interested in going on either Saturday or Sunday if the weather is decent. Adams/Jefferson don't sound like very much fun in the rain with a bunch of old snow though.

I'm kinda thinking of hitting the Franconias on Saturday because the molester needs them for his 4k list but it wouldn't take much to convince me to go somewhere else. After the last few weekends of rain I just want to get out.

Maybe someone should make a contact list. I'd be happy to if anybody think it's a good idea.

I figured I'd add this too. I have access to a place in Rangeley and would like to do some more hiking up in that area this summer. It makes a nice place to stay on a Friday night to start a weekend backpacking trip.

Last edited:
I've got a place in Oxford and plan to hike a fair amount in Maine/NH in July (Evenas Notch, Puzzle, Goose Eye are on the list). I'll post when I plan a hike up there. I'm old, slower, but get out a ton!

BTW, Portland is WELL represented in VFTT I'm sure that you will not lack hiking partners :)

Another Portlander here. We'll be around the Evans Notch or north slope areas this weekend... hiking/paddling/skiing(?)...

Yep, there are a bunch of us hanging around here. I'm out of commission until after lacrosse/dance/graduation season are over, though. My kids might have an issue with me not being around, especially for that graduation thing.

But you won't be lacking for VersFTT in Maine, particularly since a few people from away are planning on doing a lot of Maine hiking this year. Then there's always that honorary Mainah, SherpaKroto! ;)

el-bagr said:
Another Portlander here. We'll be around the Evans Notch or north slope areas this weekend... hiking/paddling/skiing(?)...

Looks like I'll be missing you by one weekend Todd. Evans is a real nice place.

Have fun
:)

June 12th?

Sorry to post and run on this thread...I've had a few chaotic days. But am still very interested in getting a hike together for those who have responded. For a variety of reasons and pre-existing plans, June 12th is the first day that would be good for me and my girlfriend, plus this gives some advance notice for anybody who wants to join.

Does this day work for anybody else? Any location suggestions or destinations that people are eyeballing? I'm open to suggestion and it sounds some people might be working on a few peak lists....

That's about the only weekend I can't go. I'd like to put together a few trips in Maine this summer. Typically I hike in NH because the higher peaks there are actually closer to me.

Anybody have plans for this Sunday?

Welcome, Crooker

I live about 45 minutes away from Portland, and hit the Whites very often. I have a trip lined up for Memorial Day weekend that's on the Trips and Events page. All are welcome, so check it out.

Can't do that weekend (6/12) Off fly fishing the Andro :)

Suggestions: since you're in Maine, head up to Old Speck (4k), Goose Eye (NEHH), or the Baldfaces (NEHH). All great hikes. I've done each many times, and plany Goose Eye again this summer (7/9, I think).

I'm not from Portland, but you better not go anywhere without me. We better at least go to Gritty McDuffs!!!!!!

Shaka

- darren

I hike (ok walk) to work everyday right by Gritty's. Some Hikethe115 person always gets a six pack when I go to New York. I wonder if she is going to be around this weekend for the Escarpment hike?

Ok so one confirmed for June 12th...and I'm sure many more to come. I know, hard to think past memorial day.

MEB - any location preference? I wouldn't mind taking SherpaKroto's suggestion of Goose Eye.

Almost forgot to say, even though I'm more of an Amigo's guy, certainly wouldn't be opposed to post-hike beers at Grittys...

- Nate