Camera

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding B & H, I know they're the big camera store on the block, but I haven't had much luck with them with P&S cameras. I had to take back 3 Powershot Pro1's in a week's time, because each one they gave me had either a hot pixel on the LCD, or a few dead pixels on the image sensor. After I returned the last one, I just ordered one from Dell, and all is great. I still go to B & H for accessories, but more out of convenience (my office isn't far from there) and their great selection of products than anything else.

For camera recommendations, check out the new Powershot A620 (I think). It's the result of what would happen when you leave a Powershot G6 and a Powershot A95 together in a cheap motel overnight, and might be the perfect hiking buddy. Might be a little on the expensive side though, it was just released last month.

Also, check out Beach Camera's online shop. Never had a problem with the 3 or 4 camera's I've gotten from them. (Except for the G3 that I dropped down the stairs, but I couldn't get them to acknowledge that they were to blame for that.)

Disregarding the merits of whether or not to buy from BHPhotoVideo (although I have had good results), I find their web site is good for comparison shopping. Good selections at all levels, easy to compare several similar cameras or a range of cameras to see what the added $$ will get you. They also have some pretty reasonable reviews submitted by users. It is important to define what you are really looking to use the camera for before making a decision.

Camera...

Anybody ever tried the Bushnell digital outdoor camera?
It looks interesting for hiking pictures, but I haven't seen much reviews about it...
thanks

Quietman said:
On my coolpix, in the "shooting" menu, there is an image sharpening option. This can be set to auto, high, normal, low, and off. My guess is that the off setting must be similar to a raw shot.
No, raw is an entirely different way of taking pictures. It has nothing to do with sharpening the image. Most P&S cameras don't allow you take pictures in Raw mode, it's mostly dSLRs and the high-end all-in-one cameras.

I'll let Darren give you the merits of raw over jpg.

-dave-

I have an Olympus Camedia D565, 4.0 that takes good photos when natural lighting is right or when close to medium range objects are photoed with flash.
The reason I mention this now is I was on the dance floor at a wedding this weekend and dropped it from eye level, I knew that would be that for the camera. It hit, bounced, spun around, hit again. I picked it up and examined it. Not only is it fine, but I can't even see where it hit. So they are solid.

darren said:
I'm not up on current P&S camera, but I will second the advice on B&H Photo. They have low prices and they are reliable. They ship fast and if they say it is in stock then it is in stock. They wont jerk you around like many of the low price shops you see listed in photo magazines or on the net.

- darren
I will second that a few weeks before I went out to CO this past June I bought a new lens from them It arriived in less than a week just as they said it would. They have all kinds of Stuff and I have never had a problem with them at all.
FWIW I am partial to Canon equipemnt . Though the digital stuff is expensive .

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it's useful to have a bona-fide viewfinder in your digital camera. Many cameras have an LCD screen plus a digital viewfinder (the former lets you see a larger, digital version of what you're going to photograph, and the latter is just like a regular viewfinder, only it is digital). A digital viewfinder doesn't give you nearly the clear view of what you're photographing as a real see-through viewfinder does. In low light or excessively bright light, the digital versions may not work at all and you can't figure out where you are when you look through them.

Also, you want to get a good optical zoom lens if you want close-ups, and don't rely on the digital zoom, which basically just enlarges the pixels.

A good macro mode (focus distance of around 4" or less) will enable you to take clear closeup shots of flowers, butterflies, etc.

You don't have to have more than 3 or 4 megapixels if you won't be enlarging beyond 8x10. I have a 3.2 megapixel Finepix 3800, and I've taken a number of beautiful closeups of flowers and dragonflies and had them printed at a professional camera shop, and they came out perfectly clear as a 5x7 print worthy of framing and putting on my wall. More clear, in fact, than the pictures I took with my original film camera.

Have fun shopping - and do take a look at e-bay, where you can often get new or refurbished cameras for close to half price.

Kevin Rooney said:
Personally, I like the Canon and lots of people carry them. To narrow it down, I'd recommend the Cannon PowerShot SD400 5.0 megapixel digital ELPH camera and get an extra battery and memory stick. The SD400 is small, extremely rugged (I accidently ran over mine with the truck - opps, but still works great) and easy to use. One final comment - don't be impressed with digital zoom - it's of little use. Look for optical zoom.

That's the camera that I got. It was recommended to me by someone who knows about photography. It's very simple to use, and makes great photos. I only have one battery, and it lasts long enough for me. I haven't done anything more than 3 or 4 days tops. For a trip longer than that, you would probably need another battery.

The SD400 has been replaced by the SD450. Not much new other than a bigger screen and some small improvements, but you may be able to find some excellent sales on the SD400 now.

Link

-dave-