Camping in Acadia - Where should I go?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackM

Reaction score
I've never been to Acadia. I'm heading up to Bar Harbor for my honeymoon in a few weeks and would like to go camping for a night or two. Any recommendations? I have no idea where to go but I'd prefer to go somewhere remote - where RVs and cars aren't allowed.

Last edited:
Camping in Acadia
There are two choices in the park, Seawall and Blackwoods. If you want reservations you'll have to choose Blackwoods. No other camping is allowed in the park.

Outside the park there are several campgrounds. I stayed at one that was OK, but scouted a campground at the tip of Sommes Sound that looked excellent, with nice isolated sites with water view. I can't remember the name, I'm trying to find it online.

-dave-

Acadia Camping

Jack,

First of all, congrats! :)

And you picked a great spot for a honeymoon!

Acadia is wonderful. A bit crowded in spots, but definitely worth it. We try to make it up there once a year.

We camped last year at Seawall and thought it was a great spot. A bit out of the way, which was nice. We've also done Blackwoods, which worked as well.

In terms of private campgrounds, we've stayed at Somes Sound View Campground before and actually have reservations to stay there again this September. It does allow RVs, but has some nice tent sites that are separate from the RVs and in looking at the other campgrounds on the island, it seems to be one of the more quiet ones. They have water sites but they're a bit exposed to the elements. We reserved site #19 this time around as we remember it as being one of the nicest sites.

Check it out here -- and have fun!
-Danielle :)

We stayed in Lamoine State Park a few years ago. We had Ocean campsites and an awesome amount of privacy and very quiet area. Lamoine inside the harbor between the 2 sections of Acadia and doesn't receive the amount of traffic as it is somewhat off the beaten path.

You will need to drive for 20 mins to get to Acadia, but to us the isolation was well worth it.
Cheers
Rick

David Metsky said:
Camping in Acadia
There are two choices in the park, Seawall and Blackwoods.

If an uncrowded spot is most important on your list, your THIRD option for camping INSIDE the park is Isle au Haut. I stayed there about a year ago for a couple nights, and it was great. Not much of a chance of seeing any car or RVs, cause you're a few miles offshore!

http://www.nps.gov/acad/camping.htm#isleauhaut

I've stayed at Somes Sound View Campground a couple of times. I think it is where Dave was attempting to recall. Danielle did a nice job of description - there is also a Quary, and like she mentioned, there are sites right at water level on sand. There are also some wooded sites a bit away from cars and RV's - this is not a rustic campground by any matter.

The place Rick suggested sounds excellent. Like this one, Somes Sound is also a 20+ minute drive into Bar Harbor... crowded, Bar Habor... you see lots of wildlife on the way into town and you're in better placement for some "out of the way" lobster pot restuarants around the backside of the island. Plan time in your schedule for Tea at Jordan Pond House.

I've never stayed "inside the park". Congrats on the wedding and enjoy the isle.

For "Tent Camping" a great place to go is "Mt Desert Campground". It is a well run, clean, quiet, place.They don't allow RV's over 24 ft and there are only a handfull of sites the owners wil allow them in. There are fantastic sites on the water and many with great water views. I've been camping there for 20 years. They are at the East tip of Somes Sound and do have a website.

Great Coastal Hiking on the island!!

Thanks, everyone! That's a huge help. I'm looking forward to being married and to relaxing in Acadia!

quiet, but not camping

Not sure how much time you have, but if you can get out to Swan's Island (via ferry), you'll find a very quiet, beautiful place. There are no campgrounds on the island - but there are a couple of b&bs. You will be far away from crowds.

Have fun! I miss Acadia.

-Liza