Camping on Lower Great Range Approaches?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Rick

Reaction score
Avon Connecticut Avatar: #46! Haystack summit
Hi Folks...frequent lurker, infrequent poster here. Hope someone can help me with this...

I am one of those who likes to head up after work and head in a short ways to make camp the night before a day hike. One of the trips I would like to make soon will be the lower range (Wolfjaws and Armstrong). Does anyone know if there are good camping spots along either the Rooster Comb or Snow Mtn approach trails, within an hour or two of Rt 73?

Thanks!
ADK Rick

No shelters so to speak of in those areas that I know of, however if you head in from the Garden area, there are lean-tos at both Bear Brook and Deer Brook which are only in 1 mile and 1.5 miles respectivly.

Both are within 20-35 minutes walk from the Garden trailhead along the Johns Brook Trail. As far as campsites........ well, none designated that I know of, but again, you might be able to find a spot to camp in the area.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks Tim, and might I add that I have followed your excellent site for a long time!

I like to avoid leantos and I also like to use less popular trails when I can, which is why I am interested in the alternate approaches. Also, isnt it difficult to get to the S side of Johns Brook in high water?

Thanks again
ADK Rick

I need to double check this on the DEC site, but I think that's a camping only at designated sites area, as I think all the Eastern High Peaks are. I was recently told and had text read to me that makes it sound as if the Flowed Lands- Colden Corridor is the only Eastern High Peaks area that under this reg, but I suspect that's pre new management plan info. The DEC needs to rework their web site if you ask me. The ADK high peaks map, the most recent one is a good authority for designated sites.

There are car camping sites along Rt 73 that are legal, so if you can drive up there and car camp and then hit the trail in the morning. Not my style either.

And yes, Johns Brook will likely be a pain to cross

The DEC site is very hard to navigate.

This page:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/regs/part190b.html#190.13

states that the "designated sites only" rule applies in the South Meadow - Flowed Lands corridor only.

(Warren, this is probably the text that you are referring to. I haven't heard of a change, yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.)

ADK Rick,

The existing rules (if they're still current) let you camp pretty freely, as long as you are more than 150 feet from a road, trail, or body of water. Within those parameters, there's no trouble finding beautiful wilderness campsites in the Snow, Rooster Comb area. You just have to walk the trails with a little daylight to find them.

I seem to recall a designated site up the Wedge Brook Trail (#33), a little past the boundary from AMR land. Maybe someone else on this board can confirm this?

I know it's not on the Rooster Comb approach, but it is a possible alternative.

Silverback said:
I seem to recall a designated site up the Wedge Brook Trail (#33), a little past the boundary from AMR land. Maybe someone else on this board can confirm this?

I know it's not on the Rooster Comb approach, but it is a possible alternative.

The HP guide book mentions a "possible campsite" at 1.2 mi.

Depending on how far you can hike in... There is a tenting sight at the left turn about 2.75 miles in from the garden. There is also a tenting sight at the trailhead for Big Slide.

I think that there are sufficient flat areas along the Phelps Trail (Garden->JBL) where you could set up a legal campsite.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

-percious

Regarding the Wedge Brook Trail to the Wolfjaws, I do recall there being camping sites there but then I was there in 2002 and my memory might not be the best. I think it was around that area when my friend and I ran into Pin Pin..

Jay

ADK Rick,

I think you are most interested in the Rooster Comb area approach. As I mentioned there are a lot of wilderness campsites in that area. Lots of open woods areas, if you hunt around a bit for them.

If you do decide to go Wedge Brook up to the Wolfjaws, there is an excellent camping area on the right of the trail where it levels off and you get your first view of the LWJ slide (about an hour in, depending on your pace). A watchout: This area has been heavily used, so the actual open grassy area may have been designated "No Camping." I've never camped there, and I haven't been there in couple years, so I'm not sure.

TCD