Can VFTT save a Firetower ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just discovered that there is a concerted effort underway to save the Mt. Beacon fire tower.

http://beaconfiretower.org/

The mayor of Beacon is behind this, which is great, as it is imperative to have local support.

I plan to get involved in this project, as it is active and local to me.

Hey Tom, nice website, I checked out the two NY firetowers near me, Sterling and Jackie Jones. Sterling, being the only NY State firetower still in service. I've never been there when the ranger is there but the cabin there is kept up and obviously still usable.

I saw a link to this:

http://www.telenet.net/~ranger/towers6.htm#woodhull

Is that the Woodhull Mtn in the catskills not far from Red Hill firetower and kind of west of Van Wyck and Table mtn?

[edit] Oops, never mind, I see that it is listed in Herkimer County, which it can't possibly be the same as the Woodhull mtn in the catskills...

Oh, if any of you are planning some fire tower explorations in southern NY, I'd be interested, firetowers are kind of fun though a lot of them scare the crap out of me when I'm climbing them.. :)

Jay

Last edited:
Jay H said:
Hey Tom, nice website, I checked out the two NY firetowers near me, Sterling and Jackie Jones. Sterling, being the only NY State firetower still in service. I've never been there when the ranger is there but the cabin there is kept up and obviously still usable.

Wow, I did not know that there was still 1 in use! I guess that one is not a candidate for restoration.

What about Jackie Jones? Is it in good shape? I'd like to visit it, maybe in the spring.

The firetower in Jackie Jones (Harriman SP) is in pretty good shape. it is completely dwarfed by a much larger (twice as high, easily) microwave tower about 100ft west of it but that is another thread. It's a real short hike and you can also explore the ruins of the founder of the Corn Syrup (brand name KARO) who used to live close to the firetower in a posh stone mansion with a kitchen that was made to resemble a ship's bow cause he liked ships. It is marked as ORAK on the TC maps which is KARO backwards.. A little trivia for thursday morning, I guess.

It's also a nice place to ski to in the winter time and not far from the LP and the shelter at Big Hill.

Jay

Wakely tower

For those interested in the Wakely tower: In the draft Unit Management Plan for the Blue Ridge Wilderness, DEC is proposing to restore the fire tower, cabin and wooden heliport on Wakely. There will be a public meeting on the UMP at the Adk Museum at 6 p.m. Feb. 7. Public comments will be accepted through Feb. 24. You can send them to [email protected]

The Draft UMP is available on compact disc which may be requested by calling (518) 863-4545. A limited number of print copies are available as well. An article in my favorite newspaper, The Hamilton County News states that they are "restoring the Wakely Mountain fire tower, observer cabin and helipad for radio communications, recreational use and historic preservation..."

That is cool. I hiked past the old "surveying tower" about 18 months ago. It was built mostly of tree logs, and was not the original stone tower. It was perhaps 30' tall and was closed. It appeared to be well beyond repair, and looked like it could fall at any moment - a potential serious hazard. I will also keep an eye out for news of the replacement tower. It will be nice to have the view again. :)

I'm all for it, I'll pitch in. The two towers in the worst stape I noticed are Hurricane and Saint Regis.

My first choice would be Hurricane, second Wakley. Wakley isn't in bad shape. All of stairs are still there, the landings are a little shaky and the cab is in good shape, no windows of course.

Progress

Tom Rankin said:
Wow! Nice! I can't wait, keep us posted if you read anything else!

I biked to Mount Rutsen from my house yesterday. The tower is currently under construction.

2328887950010942124iaHBTa_fs.jpg

More pictures

i was there yesterday and told them that they should be "selling" the steps like they did to raise money for mount utsayanthia (when you gave them a $50 donation they would put your name on a step) - - - they told me that they were "selling" thier steps for $75 each - i have looked at thier website http://www.beaconfiretower.org/index.htm and cant find anything about them selling thier steps though - anyone know anything about them "selling" steps????

Last edited:
imarchant said:
Construction is progressing nicely. The tower is almost complete.
There was short article on the new 79' tower atop the 350' Mt Rutsen in the local Kingston newspaper: Ferncliff Forest Fire Tower. It may open in 2-3 weeks with a formal opening ceremony in late August. The structure is reportedly complete, however, work is continuing on safety items and so not yet open to the public. The tower is visible from the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge over the Hudson River.

This is a Ferncliff Forest website with some more information and history. I have obtained free trail maps for Ferncliff Forest at tourist information centers in northern Dutchess County, however, I have not seen them online. Although you will probably want to wait for the opening, here are some trail directions. From the parking area here, pass the gate (on the South Pond Trail) to the pond. Turn north/right, and pass the Church Trail on the right. Take the North Pond Trail north and away from the pond. Turn left/east on the East Tower Trail which winds up to the tower.

Last edited:
An update on Fire Towers in the Catskills:

Balsam Lake - Cabin and Tower in good shape - Active volunteers
Hunter - Cabin and Tower in good shape - EDIT: Active volunteers recently!
Red Hill - Cabin and Tower in good shape - Active volunteers
Overlook - Cabin and Tower in good shape - Active Volunteers
Tremper - Cabin no longer exists, tower in decent shape, no active volunteers as far as I know.

For more information, or to get involved, see this post on ADKHPs. Unfortunately, the link in that post is not working right now, but if anyone wants, I can get the info to them.

Last edited:
Ferncliff Forest Tower, Rhinebeck NY

On Monday October 22, I made the short hike up to the recently (July) completed tower on top of Mount Rutsen in the Ferncliff Forest Preserve just north of Rhinebeck NY. Click any of the thumb nails to access the photo gallery. It was an amazing early fall day in the Hudson Valley under an amazing sky:
The view from the tower has one of the best sweeping views of the Catskill Mountains from the east:
It includes a view of the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge over the Hudson River and encompasses both the northern escarpment of the Catskills:
and Slide Mountain among the southern Catskills:
The view to the east is extends to Stissing Mountain, the site of another fire tower:

Last edited:
Beacon Fire Tower work moving forward!

Beacon Fire Tower work moving forward!

Excerpts from their newsgroup:

All steps have been installed!

They are scheduling a work date for Saturday, Sept 13th to bring up the landings and begin installing them.

If you have steelwork/construction skills and are willing to help, please send an e-mail to coyoteroc at opt online dot net