Canadians: sick of border waits at Lacolle?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I got sick and tired of long waits at Lacolle (Interstate 87 - Autoroute15) so I finally did something about it. I found a crossing a few km east of there where you never (almost) wait.
Note: You still have to go thru customs but the agents usually ask
fewer questions.

Here it is southbound:
Exit #1
Montée Guay eastwards for 4.5 km (3 mi for the metrically challenged).
Right (south) on#221 for 1 km.
Customs
#276 south for 2.5 km
Right on #11 (follow signs to I-87)

Nothbound:

Exit 42
After 2 sets of lights turn left at yellow flasher onto #276.
North for 2.5 km
Customs
North 1 km on 221
Turn left at sign to #15

So far the only time I've waited was when a group of 30 motorcyclists got there just ahead of us. Once, when there was a 2 hour wait at Lacolle I was the only car at this other crossing.

Click here for a map. Zoom in and you'll see it.

Peakbagr you owe me a beer.

Last edited:
Has anybody used the above info since I posted it? I'd be curious to know if anybody's had to wait. As I mentioned, so far I've only waited once.

NeilL,
Thanks for sharing the info.
I will definitely use it when I go to the Catskills for Gathering 7.0.

I was considering getting a NEXUS pass to bypass all the traffic but it costs $80 and they take your fingerprints and you have to go to an interview with US and Canada customs... not crazy about that idea.

So THAT'S what that Nexus lane is. I always wondered. Well now you don't need to spend the 80 bucks do you.

I used this alternative route a few years ago, before you posted it. Actually, I'll choose this crossing the minute I know it's gonna be a busy weekend, but I never had to so in the last 2 years.

By the way, I heard on the radio (and internet) that there was supposed to be a "tax free" day at the customs last monday (Labor day). The canadian custom agents are on strike. So we took a chance and bought a little bit more bottles of wine we're supposed to (5 bottles + one 26 oz scotch).

WRONG!

No tax-free day:(

As I declared them correctly, I had 3 choices: abandon them (no way!), pay ridiculous taxes (tps, tvq and a 66% SAQ tax!!!!) or store them at the custom's office for 40 days max. So guess what: they're in storage, and I'll return in the Whites next weekend to bring them back. Good way to force me to go back hiking:D

Bottom line: never take a chance with alcool quotas and always declare correctly what you bring back, otherwise you're on a black list if they catch you.

Bottom line #2: But alcool is so cheap in NH:)

Last edited:
That's funny, When I lived attended Syracuse University, we used to drive to Canada to by beer. 2 case per person maximum. I remember crossing the border by Watertown in white out conditions telling the Canadian border patrol that we were entering Canada 'because we thought it was a nice day to explore Canada' He laughed and gave us directions to the nearest packing store where I procured some delectible Molson Brador.

I usually bring a 6 pack of of beer back to Canada with me because by the time I get home the stores have to quit selling beer (11:00pm). I empty my pack, insert the cans, then fill my pack with all my hiking clothes leaving the sox and underwear on top.

I cross above Watertown 2x per year to go fishing.

Last year, we had a case of beer for two of us. Agent says, do you have alcohol. We say yes a case of beer. He asked why only one case.

First time I've been stumped at the border as to what to say.

My buddy, myself and the agent all had a good laugh.