Canister stoves on airplanes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Restrictions for Float Planes ?

Hey,
Would all the latest TSA restrictions apply to, say, a float plane flight from one pond to another somewhere in the middle of Maine? I plan to use a canister stove, and I may have a small knife with me as well. Oh, and a couple of tent pegs. Oh, and carbide-tipped trekking poles . . well you get the picture.

Tramper Al said:
Hey,
Would all the latest TSA restrictions apply to, say, a float plane flight from one pond to another somewhere in the middle of Maine? I plan to use a canister stove, and I may have a small knife with me as well. Oh, and a couple of tent pegs. Oh, and carbide-tipped trekking poles . . well you get the picture.

Send them by canoe express? :)

Legally, the pilot has final say on many issues, likely this one too.

Call up a charter service and ask.

Doug

This is a very old thread, but the only one I saw on this topic.

Has anyone flown recently with a stove? Specifically I was looking to fly with my MSR pocket rocket on Southwest and was wondering if that was ok to go with check baggage? I was not planning on bringing the actual fuel canister, and will by that after I land, since I was assuming those were a no-no. I know I can call the airline, but it strikes me as the kind of question you'll get bounced around for half an hour before anyone knows what your talking about.

While were at it, are poles, pocket knives generally ok to check?

Thanks!

FWIW, if you're heading here to Grand Canyon and you're hesitant about whether to take the stove/fuel or not, both the stoves and fuel are available at the backpacking supplies and general store at the Grand Canyon village in Market Plaza. If you're planning on an early start to the hike, you'll have to make store purchases the day before as the store hours are 8 AM to 7 PM, 7 days per week.

I'd clean off any soot so it's less obvious it's a stove. A wise man (Arm) gave me a suggestion last fall for flying with a whisperlite--put it in a clear bag and label it as a water pump. Not sure it would pass the sniff test with a pocket rocket but maybe you can get creative.

This is a very old thread, but the only one I saw on this topic.

Has anyone flown recently with a stove? Specifically I was looking to fly with my MSR pocket rocket on Southwest and was wondering if that was ok to go with check baggage? I was not planning on bringing the actual fuel canister, and will by that after I land, since I was assuming those were a no-no. I know I can call the airline, but it strikes me as the kind of question you'll get bounced around for half an hour before anyone knows what your talking about.

While were at it, are poles, pocket knives generally ok to check?

Thanks!
All of the above are fine in checked luggage. No worries.

I have mentioned this on here before, but our trip to Alaska had 4 people carrying stoves flying on four different airlines. Flying USAIR out of Manchester, NH I mistakenly answered "yes" to the question if I had a stove, and was denied. Someone else flying Northwest out of Manchester didn't say a thing, and it was OK. Someone flying out of upstate NY on American, was first denied, the pilot walked by, looked at it, and said "no problem". Last, someone flying Alaska Air out of Seattle, didn't ask, didn't tell.

I had my stove in my pack, easily accessable, and in a stuf stack marked "CAMP STOVE" to help identify it was not a bomb. I was truthful, and it was my mistake.

When in Fairbanks, I asked a TSA guy standing there what the rule was, because on their website, it was clearly OK. He said it was up to the individual airlines, and based on these results, I would say it's up to the individual airlines, and whomever is at the counter at that time.

Thanks to all of you who responded. I guess I should be fine with the pocket rocket, subject to the individual who checks out my bag. Its only a $40 item so its worth the risk of confiscation. Good to get some reassurance though!

Max-- great guess as to the destination. It is indeed the Canyon later this month--Grandview loop plus Bright Angel exit. The info on the shop at the rim and its hours are good to know!

Thanks to all of you who responded. I guess I should be fine with the pocket rocket, subject to the individual who checks out my bag. Its only a $40 item so its worth the risk of confiscation. Good to get some reassurance though!

Max-- great guess as to the destination. It is indeed the Canyon later this month--Grandview loop plus Bright Angel exit. The info on the shop at the rim and its hours are good to know!

John, any other details you might need help with, just give a yell. Not sure what your travel situation is between trailheads. Grandview is about 10 miles or so east of the main entrance road and there is no shuttle service between the main park and Grandview point. There is taxi service available in the park, though I've never had an occasion to use it, and have heard varying reviews about its reliability. You can park a car at the Grandview trailhead for overnight and extended stays...be sure and use the secondary lot that is the furthest from the rim and trail entrance. I believe there may be signage for this. It only requires an extra couple hundred feet of walking, but cars left overnight in the lot closest to the rim might be subject to towing.

If you're going down the Grandview loop to the east side of Horseshoe Mesa, the water at Page Spring (often called Miner's Spring) is 100% reliable though it should be treated. The short branch trail to the spring itself is located at a signed junction point and there is an old rusty wheelbarrow there, left over from the mining days. On the west side of Horseshoe Mesa, the Cottonwood Creek is another reliable water spot. Grapevine Creek is the next water traveling west, but from there until Burro Spring, between the South Kaibab and Bright Angel, it might be pretty dry. Burro is always flowing, and then it's only 2 more miles to Indian Garden.

Have a great trip!